Possible scrouge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RORY12553

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2011
Southern NY
Found a contractor that owns a house that he rents. There is split and seasoned wood that he wants to get rid of that is stacked. What should I look for as far as pieces I don't want? he said it is oak, ash, and locust. There is also other trees down on the property he wants gone too. He told me there is approx 30 feet of stacked split wood! Have no idea where to put that much on my property and considering having someone else in my area go with me to take some.

My own opinion . . . if it was bucked up and split as you say . . . I would find room for it on my property . . . somewhere and somehow. Scrounging doesn't get much better than this short of having the guy deliver it to your house, stack it for you and then fill up your woodstove when it needs to be filled. Besides . . . this is prime wood -- ash, locust and oak.

I would take it all. If a few pieces are punky I'd dispose of them in my woods, but otherwise it would all go in my stacks for the wood stove. There is no wood that isn't worth burning if it is already stacked, split, and seasoned. The reason I'd take it all is because to me it seems like the deal is that you get free wood while your buddy gets a pile of wood removed. I wouldn't want to leave behind the rotten wood for him to deal with, unless maybe the pile is mostly rotten and then I'd let him know I was leaving it.

Wood Duck said:
I would take it all. If a few pieces are punky I'd dispose of them in my woods, but otherwise it would all go in my stacks for the wood stove. There is no wood that isn't worth burning if it is already stacked, split, and seasoned. The reason I'd take it all is because to me it seems like the deal is that you get free wood while your buddy gets a pile of wood removed. I wouldn't want to leave behind the rotten wood for him to deal with, unless maybe the pile is mostly rotten and then I'd let him know I was leaving it.

Point well taken! He is clearing more property too and it is heavily wooded this could be future wood also which is huge!

Wood Duck said:

Well said.

Make it all "go away" and he may ask you to make more "go away" in the future. That's been my experience...

I agree with Jake. Heck it's cut, split and seasoning already. Make room for it. Put the dining room furniture in the backyard if ya have to....lol....

Thanks guys for the advice. Will need to get some pallets and designate a corner of the backyard for it. At the very least i will be set up for next season and i have some stuff at the house already that i need to split.

RORY12553 said:
Thanks guys for the advice. Will need to get some pallets and designate a corner of the backyard for it. At the very least i will be set up for next season and i have some stuff at the house already that i need to split.
good man....now go get that wood!

I'd be on it in a heartbeat, CSS'd wood for free isn't that common. Heck, I'm happy our last two scrounges were bucked.

Jsut rememeber that in NYS you can't transport firewood over 50 miles when scrounging. Someone we know was telling DH the other day how he got fined for bringing wood back from his property down in the southern tier to his house up in Niagara county. I wasn't there for the story so I don't know if it was a statie or a sheriff, but a police car followed him for a bit, then pulled him over after 50 miles.

eclecticcottage said:
I'd be on it in a heartbeat, CSS'd wood for free isn't that common. Heck, I'm happy our last two scrounges were bucked.

Jsut rememeber that in NYS you can't transport firewood over 50 miles when scrounging. Someone we know was telling DH the other day how he got fined for bringing wood back from his property down in the southern tier to his house up in Niagara county. I wasn't there for the story so I don't know if it was a statie or a sheriff, but a police car followed him for a bit, then pulled him over after 50 miles.

WOW....I'm so glad I live in Texas.

mking7 said:
eclecticcottage said:

Actually it's a good thing if it works-it's to slow/prevent invasive species getting around.

eclecticcottage said:
mking7 said:
eclecticcottage said:

Actually it's a good thing if it works-it's to slow/prevent invasive species getting around.

Sounds like some hike sheriff just wanted to scrounge up a couple of $$$ with a fine. I

Status
Not open for further replies.