possible to convert zero cleance to masonary for larger insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hotrod

Hearth Supporter
Oct 4, 2006
In reading some of the topics in this forum I see that you all have extensive expeience in this field. I know very little about the subject but am very curious. I have a small handyman business and have been asked in the past if I know "much about fireplaces". Particularly, if a prefab zero-clearance fireplace can be converted into a masonary fireplace to accomodate a insertable wood burning stove larger than most of the standard models (ie: Lopi's answer or revenge).

I also have purchased a used (year 2000) Lopi Freedom Flush mount version and would like to install it into my zc fireplace if I can do so safely. I understand that this unit is not designed for my existing zc (both dimension wise as well as heat rating wise), but is it still possible? I have all the 6" s/s piping to run all the way up to the roof. And I know i will have to knock out the old flue and trim some of the flashing off the top side of the zc opening to make the fit on the height.

I would rather just take the entire zc out and convert to a masonary so when I sell the home I can take my stove with me.

I would appreciate some suggestions.

Why convert to a masonary when you can either build an alcove or place the stove infront of the opening and vent using the exiting raceway? You will probably have to either line or replace the ZC chimney as I doubt it's rated for a woodstove. If the existing chimney is in a chase, double wall galvenized pipe isn't a bad price, and you would only have to do a stainless piece at the top where it's exposed to the weather.

I had a ZC in my condo. It didn't work for crap, so I just ripped it out, enlarged the opening into an alcove, then built a pad and installed a Hearthstone Heritage. I can link you to pictures if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.