Possible to resurrect cracked stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drkinva

Oct 1, 2006
In looking for a used stove, I've found a beautiful 22 year old Jotul stove that's been stored for 15 years. It has an 8" crack in one side. Inside the firebox it appears as a bit more than a hairline crack. Of course it's priced at practically nothing, but can it be repaired? Blacksmithy? Scrounge for a replacement side? Should I keep looking? It IS gorgeous otherwise!

What model Jotul?

From Jotul's website, it looks to be an F118CB. It's green, and the flue is out the side at the rear, and has no glass in the door.

That would be an older 118, from the days when Jotul was promoting the "cigar burn" as a feature. A decent heater in it's day if you burn it hot. Damped down, it won't maintain a flame for long, and will plug your chimney in no time. Make sure it has the two side plates and baffle plate inside. If not, it's probably not a worthwhile experiment.

Like precaud said, examine the condition of the inner plates for warping and cracks as well. If the stove cracked on the exterior, it may have been over-fired. However, if the price is right, (cheap) I'd be tempted. Pick up a second one for parts and you could have a good stove between the two of them. Consider rebuilding the better one. It's not that hard, just be prepared to drill and re-tap some broken bolts (not that big a deal really). I did that with our 602 and it turned out great.

Or just be patient. They show up on eBay pretty regularly. There are a couple 118's posted there now.

Status
Not open for further replies.