Possible to upgrade reburn screen on older VC Defiant?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Been looking over the stove rebuild instructions today. I see the reburn screen in the instructions, which is gone from my stove. Got me thinking what is the possibility of upgrading this function? Given new materials, in particular the Cat inserts in newer stoves, is there a product made to more effeciently and more durably perform the reburns on this older stove? There is a dedicated exhaust route for reburning with it's own air intake.

If this is an old Defiant 1A and if your talking about that little screen that goes in the fireback to hold the cement (goin by 20 year old memories) Then nope. Best way to make that stove more efficient is to fix it up, sell it and buy an EPA certified stove. You can find one that will give defiant type heat for under $2000 pretty easily. Can sell a rebuilt Defiant for over $600 I'm guessin. So start savin up.

Status
Not open for further replies.