Post burn-in touch up questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

milesmoony

Dec 8, 2019
Olympic Peninsula
Okay guys so I just finished burning in my glo fire 301 cast iron stove. I took it apart, sand blasted it, put it back together with furnace cement in the joints, painted it with stove bright satin black, and just finished burning it in outdoors. Boy did that thing smoke!

Everything seems good, except the furnace cement bubbled out in a few places which was grey. Also noticed a couple spots with lighter coverage than the rest of the stove. Would I be okay to spray a light coat over the cement and burn it again tomorrow, or is there a better way? Looking for details and experience here, really don’t want to mess it up at this point.

Thanks to all the wood stove gurus on here for the abundance of helpful advice, I’ve learned a lot.

Noticing the lighter areas are adjacent to the fire. I didn’t have the burn plates in while burning the stove in, so maybe that’s why. Question is still the same though, to touch up tomorrow or not? Stove has two light coats currently.

You talking about inside the stove or the outside? if outside I would do another light coat of paint, if inside, I'd just re-install the burn plates and call it a day.

x2 on another light coat, since you've got it outside. I'd do whole stove rather than touch up, just me. But if the lighter areas you're seeing are a difference in sheen and not lack of paint coverage then I'd say that's what the entire stove will look like once fully burned in. Mine is also Stove Brite Satin Black, and the satin lifted off at about 500 degrees, first in splotches at the top that later spread down the sides. I'd pay $40 for a can of it if the satin would stay on.

Okay guys so I just finished burning in my glo fire 301 cast iron stove. I took it apart, sand blasted it, put it back together with furnace cement in the joints, painted it with stove bright satin black, and just finished burning it in outdoors. Boy did that thing smoke!

Everything seems good, except the furnace cement bubbled out in a few places which was grey. Also noticed a couple spots with lighter coverage than the rest of the stove. Would I be okay to spray a light coat over the cement and burn it again tomorrow, or is there a better way? Looking for details and experience here, really don’t want to mess it up at this point.

Thanks to all the wood stove gurus on here for the abundance of helpful advice, I’ve learned a lot.
Any time I've painted stoves, pipes,... I always found it was best to let the stove sit for a while (to let the paint cure- less smoke & smell). I always try to paint at the end of the season (Spring). That way, the stove has all summer to cure.

Thanks guys. Talking about the outside of the stove here. Looks like I’ll be doing another light coat, put the burn plates in this time before burning it in. The light areas are where the the burn plates would be, and since I don’t think I’ll ever get the stove that hot again I’m not counting on the rest of the stove lightening up as well.

One question - does adding a third light coat require sanding beforehand? This stove has a mural cast into both sides so sanding would be interesting to say the least

Give it a light wipe with a clean, lintless rag and repaint with another thin coat using the exact same paint.