Post your UPS and it's run time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can not confirm that BUT, I've never seen a 24v inverter

Can not confirm that BUT, I've never seen a 24v inverter

thing is , is that the only serious ups battery back up setup that i've seen posted here was using a ups that used 24v . yes the batteries are 12v but it's all in how they are connected .

Could be 2 - 6's series'd for size?
Any info or schematics online?

I'll get you guys a pic of my work sys torrow. 555 volts feeds at 3 ph 600kw rotary ups, 400 battery bank

I ran my stove for (4) days during the outages,... Jumper cables from the truck, going to (3) marine batteries,..going to a 700 watt inverter,... going to the stove,... monitored by a dig volt meter,... when the voltage dropped to 11.9,.. I went and started the truck for 20 mins to bring the whole bank up to 12.7. I could get about 6-7 hrs of run time on the stove between charges,.. worked like a charm,... stove ran non-stop for four days.

I sourced three APC SmartUPS 1500's from work today - luckily they were upgrading and these fell into my jeep rather than the dumpster.
The batteries are old - but I'm at least able to get some minutes out of them and will cover the pellet stove for short outages covering 5-6 minutes.
I hadn't been running any surge suppressors prior to now.
When I first connected the stove to the UPS and fired it up - the LOAD indicator lights on the UPS showed 2 bars out of 5. As soon as the stove startup was complete and the SU on the stove went out - the LOAD dropped to no visible bars. Obviously due to the ?glow plug? no longer active.
I was running the stove on 1-1 and I got about 5 minutes before it dropped to 1 bar on the battery charge indicator.
Swapping in fresh batteries should help this - but my main agenda was to cover short outages and provide some level of protection from surges etc

Free is always great. replacement battery packs are, unfortunately, expensive. Usually half the cost of the unit. At least you get a few min and the surge protection. Never plug anything in that you care about into a wall jack directly.

Free is always great. replacement battery packs are, unfortunately, expensive. Usually half the cost of the unit. At least you get a few min and the surge protection. Never plug anything in that you care about into a wall jack directly.
For these units I can source generic replacement battery cartridge for about $80 (minus s/h). These units go for about $450-500 new. Definitely a good deal.
Way better than the $200 TrippLite I was considering of lessor load handling ability.
For a genuine APC battery replacement catridge I see them for $169 at pcconnection or $130 online elsewhere...and add $25 for shipping.
At nearly 1000 watt load handling - this is a good niche for a pellet stove and a efficient light or two. But like we said...with a pellet stove running on low - its only going to cover short gaps in street power.
Now where do I connect the usb of the ups to the pellet stove electronics to initiate auto-power down - hahah.

Yup, i've actually talked with an electronics buddy of mine on building a box to market that exact thing.... takes the usb signal from the ups and initiates a shut down, if desired, to allow a stove proper cool down and smoke pull time should the power go out. basically would shut off everthing but the exhaust blower. we didn't come up with any conclusions.

I know that some back ups have issues with the extended run times that a big battery allows causing possible heat issues. I would test while nearby for quite a while and put a fuse inline so the big battery can't start a fire. I would use a battery maintainer that will automatically switch to charge up to 10 amps for the deep cycle batteries so when the power comes back on everything charges on its own safely. A bigger battery on a back up usually has overheating issues with attempting to charge a big battery more than heat from extended use on the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.