Potential for huge fireplace insert or stove, but is flue an issue? Need advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Freestanding looks like it would work with a chimney liner and a block-off plate. I like the idea of either installing a stove with a bypass like the Lopi Endeavor or an easy breathing stove like the Quad Isle Royale or a PE Spectrum or Summit Classic. I would also consider a small extension on the chimney top to improve draft. That should help minimize smoke spillage.

Reactions: DAKSY
Check out "Blazeking" & their CAT lineup. :)

Thought of Blaze King Princess insert, but am not sure it would be totally smoke free on reloads with the sloped front. The Siroccos are too tall.

I posted a pic above, it's only about 15' tall so a draft has occasionally been a problem with it. So a bypass and a grated ash-handling system are features I should be looking for in whatever unit I buy?
I would go for a stove in that case, with maybe a smaller, lower side-load door. When you open the big front glass door on an insert, it's easier for dust or smoke to escape. But yeah, a grated ash system cuts the dust to almost zero, an 'ash hole' in the floor of the stove is not as good, and the last thing you want is to be shoveling the ashes out of the stove.

Last edited:
Looks like a good spot for a buck 91.......I love mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.