Poulan 18 Inch Wild Thing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

katwillny

Hey all,

just got the Wild Thing at the TSC for $79. I went to get somethings that I wanted and they had a Saturday Only Sale, the manager was nice enough to honor the sale on a Monday. Cant wait to try it out on some cherry thats down on my neighbors yard. Its an improvement from my Home-lite 14 inch.

Those things probably get more of a bad name just because of the ridiculous paint scheme more than anything else.

I have a Poulan "Woodshark" that's probably cut and bucked 50 cords of wood and it still runs like a champ.
It's main duty is backup, to my backup saw at this point, but when I need to cut some stumps off flush with the ground
or trim some brush it's the first thing I grab.

I cut all my wood for the past 6 years with a Poulan WILD THANG. Other than the name and paint sceme, its been a good saw. Starts and runs perfect just like day one, but it's slow in the bigger stuff. My friend used one (only saw) for 10 years without ever cleaning the air filter, it die. I used a woodshark for 6 years prior to the WILD THANG without a problem. For $79 you can't go wrong. It will buck up a 36" tree, just not very fast.

I just used it to cup up a nice size cherry and it worked great. I have used my Homelite for about 5 cords and it worked and still works well still but i wanted something slightly bigger. The weight is just right too.

Hey folks, big hp, mega rpm machines are not a requirement to cut firewood. For the first several years of full time burning, I did it all with a homey 240 and 18" bar. It got the job done (and I got it used). I figure it cut through over 40 cords of wood, and it still runs just fine.

If it does what you want and you are happy with it - that is all that matters.

My first 5 years I would have killed to have a new wild thing compared to a ratted out poulan top handle, and a 28 inch david bradley gear drive slow mover.

anyway, close up the slot on the back of the muffler, cut an opening on the side, add a deflector, and retune the carb and it is quite a different beast. Your hands will still go numb, but it will rev and run cleaner. and a 14 inch bar helps.

Reactions: MasterMech
I used it this afternoon to cut up some more maple and it worked great. For our needs this is plenty good and at that price i see it working well. Its pretty powerful compared to the smaller one that i have.

I used to have one for a loaner saw. It was dead reliable. After putting a real chain on it, shortening the bar and opening the muffler it did well.......so well, the last friend to borrow it kept it ;)

If it came in orange, I'd be tempted to pick one up myself at that price.

Keep the chain sharp and it will cut a lot of firewood for you.

I used it this afternoon to cut up some more maple and it worked great. For our needs this is plenty good and at that price i see it working well. Its pretty powerful compared to the smaller one that i have.

Congratulations on your new saw and for getting it at a good price! :cool:

I hope it serves you well for a long time.

Many Wild Things were poorly tuned from the factory, not helping that saw's reputation any. Had one in the shop not too long ago. Plenty strong even with an 18" bar on it. Still wouldn't want to run one all day (maybe anti-vibe gloves would help?) but for the occasional strom cleanup or small-time firewood they work well.

I predict katwillny upgrades to a MS250 next year. ;)

I predict katwillny upgrades to a MS250 next year. ;)

Well, he will now. Thanks for planting the seed.;lol
I'll bet he is over at the Stihl sight reading up on them.

It is a 40cc saw. If you think it cuts okay with an 18" bar and safety chain, I suggest you find 14" bar and a chain labeled "This saw chain is capable of kickback and could result in serious injury to the saw operator or bystanders." You'll love it. ==c

Reactions: HittinSteel
Saw was tuned and sharpened by an expert. Who could that be... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.