Poulan died .....saw shopping....Dolmar?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
after 6 years of good use, my 14 inch poulan died. it was my primary saw for 3 years then I got my hands on a Husky 365 . The 365 had a 24 inch bar when I bought it and I moved down to an 18 inch bar. Plenty of power, never bogs.....But sometimes You just don't need that much saw( and the damned thing gets heavy too). My local repair shop guy sells Shindaiwa and Dolmar. I was thinking that the Dolmar PS-410 might be just the right amount of saw for the smaller stuff that I sometimes cut. I would be open to a Stighl or Husky as well but since my repair shop guy sells Dolmar I thought I would like to give him the business.

Any thoughts? After running a prosaw in the Husky is the 410 gonna disapoint me?

I you are dropping all the way down to the 410, probably. If money is an issue, look for a 6401 from Home Depot rental as you dealer will be able to service it. If you want new, I step up to at least the 5100.

Well since I have the Husqvarna 365 special I was thinking something smaller. That's why I was leaning toward the 410. I know you can only squeeze so much power out of a 40 cc saw but I am thinking to use it for things like cutting up odd length pieces that end up in the misfit pile. Cutting up the limbs when I take down a larger tree. Basicly using it when I don't see the need to fire up that 65cc saw or if I am gonna spend most of the day cutting and hauling wood, use it for the lighter stuff so that I don't wear myself out too quickly.
Any thoughts on other saws to look at?

If you are mechanically inclined and can fix a couple known problems (fuel line routings, carb adjustments, bar too big) the Ryobi (Redmax) under 40 cc lightweight saw is getting really good comments on Arborist site. About $100. Sort of the trendy toy right now, but good solid internal design. About the only cheap saw I'd put any money into for reliable use.

For all the utility work and trimming to length, scrapping boards, etc. I use my little Echo, top handle (not recommended for everyone) with 12 inch bar. Any saw with sharp chain is potentially dangerous, but is pretty safe for one hand work.

If you had a small saw and were moving up, I'd second the dolmar 64 at HD, but IMO there would be no point duplicating what you already have in weight and power.

Sorry, didn't read your post carefully enough. While my first choice for a smaller saw would be the 346XP, I think for what you are using it for the smaller Dolmar would be fine. I was just using my 350 yesterday and with a sharp chain, it is a fine saw. For just limbing, I think you will be fine with anyone's smaller saws. I would base your decision on what dealer you want to work with.

What Wendell Said!

I have been very happy with the dolmar 5100. My send choice at the time was the Hsky 346 XP or 353. Then I called around to the home Depot stores and found a Makita (Dolmar) 6300 for $300 with brand new bar, and a couple chains. The 5100 is plenty of saw for firewood. The 6300 is nice for cutting large trees but it's heavier. Either would be fine.

A good saw will pay you back many times, or bring a good price on ebay if your needs change.

ATB,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.