poulan pro 20"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Jaque Janaviac

Feeling the Heat
Dec 17, 2009
Ouisconsin
I noticed in Fleet Farm that the Poulan Pro 20" saw now has a 50 cc engine. Does anybody have this new model? And is it an improvement over their 46cc 20" saw?

Be careful with some Poulin stuff. I ruined my 2 year old version of this saw by missing some details.
A lot of recent Poulin stuff still requires a 40 to 1 oil ratio. Everybody else is at 50 to 1. Also it might require 89 octane and not the 87 you put in the lawn mower.
If you grab some of those little oil containers that say "mix with one gallon", pay attention. Most only have 2.7 ounces. Poulins little bottles have 3.2 ounces.
Anyway, wrong oil amount, wrong gas and 105 F temp, my saw seized.

It's PoulAn, in big letters on the saw, and the box. Makes it easier to search for.

It's very doubtful that 50:1 vice 40:1, with mix oil formulated for 50:1, did in your engine. Very doubtful.

More likely that the mix stratified in the jug (shake it up, baby) or insufficient cooling air reached the fins, or the H mixture was too lean. Or some combination of the above. People have been known to grab the wrong fuel jug, too; straight-gassing gets the piston really quickly.

You always want to be listening to the saw (when it's running) for "unhappy sounds." Can save you LOT$.
You can adjust H mixture really easily by listening while cutting @WOT. Should "4-stroke" when you reduce load to ~0 and 2-stroke when you resume normal cutting. (All @WOT) Told you it's simple; Brad Snelling has example video on YouTube.

Those finicky box store saws are lean from the factory to be epa compliant. Every buyer should spend another $10 on the special splined carb adjusting screwdriver. Just a tiny turn counterclockwise on the H and L needle can make a world of difference in performance and longevity.

Status
Not open for further replies.