Bigger saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

farmer

Sep 27, 2011
se mn.
I have a couple 50 cc saws. Was looking for something to run a 24 inch bar. Would like something that wouldn’t vibrate a lot and more power than what I have for saws now.

For a 24" bar I'd want a 70cc+ saw. Which in Stihl would be an MS462 or 500. I have an MS440 (70cc) and a 460 (77cc). When I'm cutting a lot with a 24" bar fully buried I use the 460. The modern Stihls with spring anti vibe are much smoother than these older ones with rubber.

Are brand loyal to any? I've had stihl and have ran the ms462. I have a jonsered 2172 and the stihl does vibrate quite a bit more. The husqvarna 372xp is the same a the jonsered 2172 plus they are regular carburetorated. Also depends on your budget

Reactions: farmer
Since you already have a 50cc I would be shopping in the 70cc class if you really need more power. My 60cc saw pulls a 24" bar pretty well, but I don't need the extra power of a 70.

I'm a Husqvarna guy, so a 572xp would fit the bill.

However, I have to give credit where it is due, the Stihl 500i is a beast, lighter and more power than the 572xp, but your wallet will be a bunch lighter too.

I'm a Husqvarna guy, so a 572xp would fit the bill.

However, I have to give credit where it is due, the Stihl 500i is a beast, lighter and more power than the 572xp, but your wallet will be a bunch lighter too.
Yup. Husky guy here as well and is my first go to. The 500i is an interesting saw but have read some true loggers they are not convinced yet.

I don’t care what brand. I would go used if I could find a decent one. I probably wouldn’t use it as much as the smaller saws just would like it to reliable. Looking for more power for the trunks of the tree that I cut up.

Reactions: duramaxman05
I don’t care what brand. I would go used if I could find a decent one. I probably wouldn’t use it as much as the smaller saws just would like it to reliable. Looking for more power for the trunks of the tree that I cut up.
If it was me I would go with a Stihl 661. Not a cheap saw but will last you as long as you need a saw. 462 is a great saw also. I have a 461 that is nine years old sawed a lot of wood and zero issues. I do have a 660 for the big stuff. You put a 24 inch bar on a 661 and you will have a tree trunk blocking machine and a saw you can throw a 36 inch bar on and take down some big stuff.

If it was me I would go with a Stihl 661. Not a cheap saw but will last you as long as you need a saw. 462 is a great saw also. I have a 461 that is nine years old sawed a lot of wood and zero issues. I do have a 660 for the big stuff. You put a 24 inch bar on a 661 and you will have a tree trunk blocking machine and a saw you can throw a 36 inch bar on and take down some big stuff.
I feel like a 661 is overkill for bucking logs.

Once I started using my 661, I rarely use the 362 anymore. My 84-year-old father says that Stihl should include a scoop shovel to keep the saw dust clear of your feet! I will say it's much faster when cutting up larger hardwoods like oak and hickory. I use a Stihl 25-inch light weight bar and it balances nicely. It has become my favorite saw now.

I feel like a 661 is overkill for bucking logs.
Anything more than half a tank and I’m getting tired. It’s a heavy saw. Even with a 24” bar. It takes a really big tree to not be able to buck it with a 20” bar.

I don’t see the “need” for a 90+cc saw anywhere but the west or milling. 30 years ago maybe but there are lots or really good 60 and 70cc class saws that are so much lighter than the 660.

My big saw is a 395xp with 32" bar. It's has its place. It's not a saw I use very often but when I have something big to cut, it there. I cut a big red oak at work. It was 62" on the stump. I don't think I could have got my jonsered 2172 with 24" to get it cut up.

My big saw is a 395xp with 32" bar. It's has its place. It's not a saw I use very often but when I have something big to cut, it there. I cut a big red oak at work. It was 62" on the stump. I don't think I could have got my jonsered 2172 with 24" to get it cut up.
I would bet the overwhelming majority of landowners are not cutting 64" trees at home, and you did that at work. I also have a 395xp, but I removed the handle and use it for a mill saw. It's been used one time to cross cut a tree, and that was because my 460 "rancher" was pinched before the mill got here. However, I think there might be less than a dozen truly enormous spruce trees on my property that would actually require more than a 24" bar, and I will probably never even cut those down. For the rare times I do come across a tree that requires me to swap the 16" to the 20 or 24" bar on the 460, I just take my time.
Honestly I would be just fine with a 50cc pro saw in place of my 60cc "landowner" saw, but I'm cutting very little hardwood. The 460 was my first chainsaw and I thought it would be a good idea to get one saw to rule them all. Now I hardly use it and defer everything but felling trees over 10" to the Stihl MS150 TC, since most larger logs are getting milled for lumber anyway. Really just about anything would have been better than that boat anchor of a 460, but it never fails me. If I had money to burn it would definitely be on a very light 40-50cc pro saw for the majority of my use. Much faster than my "baby" saw with a minimal weight penalty.

My 562xp runs a 24" just fine in hardwoods. Semi chisel full. Not sure of price range from 562 to 572 but I think either saw would work good for you.

I agree with the 562xp choice.. I have one also.. 24inch is really no problem.. I really dont like going much bigger the that. I dont like dragging a heavy saw around for hours.. I had my 562xp out yesterday in the woods, and to me the lighter saw that can do the job wins every time

I used to drag a bigger saw all over the place, and never thought a thing of it until I got a 50cc and ported it. I use it for 90% of my cutting. I'll use the lightest saw that will easily do the job, and for the size wood I cut most (under 24") it works great. I have a bunch of mature oak to cut a few miles away and I'll use my 372 for felling and bucking the bigger ones, but the 350 will get plenty of playtime in that stuff too.

I might look for a used saw but if I went new does anyone know how the stihl 400 vs 462 compare? The 400 is a little lighter and a fair amount cheaper in price. Is the 462 worth the extra money?
I’m thinking I wouldn’t need a 90cc saw. Maybe if I was younger,

Reactions: EbS-P and SpaceBus
I have a dolmar ps421 with a 16" 325 and a husqvarna 560xp with 18" 3/8. Those 2 are my main saws. They are both light and cut good. Although my 550xp is a little finicky with the autotune. It runs good 80% of the time. It doesn't like the heat we get in missouri

I bought a Stihl MS 462 (w/ 20" ES Light bar) two years ago. I don't think I would have purchased if it weren't for new generation of lower weight pro saws.
Saws from 261 to 400 to 462 to 500 have great power to weight ratio, amazing throttle response, and combined with convenient features and ease of use make them a pleasure to use. The optional ES Light bar helps keep weight down and keeps CG closer toward the body. At just over 2 pounds heavier than a 261, I find myself going to the 462 more than half the time instead of my 260.
I haven't noticed an issue with vibration; it has good AV. It is a noticeably louder saw but with hearing protection not an issue.

Reactions: duramaxman05