Pour in liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bb1580

Oct 19, 2018
Kansas
I installed a 12ft insulated SS liner last weekend and it was a breeze! Stove is drafting better than ever for an old Ashley imperial! There was some creosote that was left over in the smoke chamber and I’m wondering if I just fill the void with thermix, perilite or vermiculite would it keep the old creosote from igniting in case of a fire inside the liner? There is a bottom block off plate installed and I’m planning on rebricking the face of the fireplace back up so I’m not concerned if it was a permenant deal.

The chimney, fireplace and smokeshelf should be completely cleaned.

Wrapping the liner with an insulation blanket is much easier than pour in. Especially in a fireplace!

The chimney, fireplace and smokeshelf should be completely cleaned.

I had a sweep come out and he cleaned the flue and hit the smoke chamber with chains and a wire whip but could not remove 100% of the creosote. There was some left in the corners and the bottom side of the stair stepped bricks in the smoke chamber. My thought was if I filled the void with a pour in sulation wouldn’t it prevent the old stuff from igniting?

With a block off plate and an insulated liner you won’t have any troubles if it was cleaned really well.

But will the pour down insulation mix help prevent fire? That’s the real question here.
I’ve been pondering this too.
Has anyone else here used the stuff?
If you made a temporary bottom block off plate and poured enough of the stuff down that hardens could you than remove the temporary block off plate and than not need a block off plate?

Just have the old fireplace cleaned out good, as mentioned above. If there is no creosote in the old fireplace all the way to top of old flue, nothing can ignite. That would be the way to do it to prevent problem with residual creosote igniting.

Last edited:
Sorry, not sure about that.

#1. Has anyone here ever used the stuff?

#2a. Benefits?
2b. More better?

#3. No need for block off plate?

Thank you.
There is still a need for a blockoff plate. Actually a need for an absolutely perfectly fitting one

Reactions: TWilk117