Pow' R' Kraft 4 Ton Electric Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Just got one of these off the UPS truck and set it up. Which consisted of plugging it in.

http://www.amazon.com/Pow-Kraft-65556-Electric-Splitter/dp/B002JFCSUO/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

Stoutly built little sucker, and has split a few 12 inch oak rounds for me so far and surprised me by drawing only just under seven amps doing it. The thing is as fast as my 22 ton splitter. I wanted it for my breezeway because I split everything size XXL and then just hand split when I need smaller to fill out a night load.

Ain't pimping the things but thought that if somebody is thinking about a little electric splitter this thing on Amazon is just $257 for the moment including shipping. I figured shipping for it on my commercial UPS account and shipping would be about $70. So realistically the splitter was $187. At 100 pounds that ain't much per pound.

It appears from my research that the seven ton jobbies are two speed. 4 ton fast and then you push the handle all the way down for the slower seven ton ummph. I wouldn't open a wood selling business with one of these things but it surprised me with the power it has.

Wrecked a shoulder in a fall last month and needed something since I can't swing a maul anymore. And it doesn't rain and snow in the breezeway. :cheese:

It will be a few weeks but I am going to have to deal with a lot of fresh cut green oak in various sizes from ten inch to OMG. The OMGs will get the 22 ton gas jobbie but I will find this things limitations along the way. I do know it just laughed at a big knot in a large white oak split tonight.

I have the 7-ton model and have nothing bad to say about it. It's not a 35-ton splitter, but not everyone needs a 35-ton. Keep it on a 25-foot, 10-gauge cord and you'll get all the power it can produce.

I never imagined splitting nearly 9 cords with my Taskforce electric 5 Ton splitter, but I just completed the 9 cord. With one person, the operation is slow as you have to get the wood, place it on the rail, and then hit two button's. With 2 or 3 people, I can't tell you how fast you get through the split process. I've split some really large rounds with this splitter. It may take moving it around when it can't get through it in the first pass, but it eventually cracks it.

Best thing of all is when I am done splitting, it goes into garage in case I need to split a large split before throwing in the stove.

there are alot of things we could do cheaper/easier
and meet all our objectives
but we are men so we "need" 25 ton splitters
100 cc saws
4x4 trucks
diesel tractors
big trailers
to process all our FREE wood
so realistically if you took the
12000 spent on the tractor
20000 on the truck
couple thousand in saws and splitter
fuel... stove
you could heat the house the rest of your life
and never process any wood
and have some change
to take the wife on vacation

ironpony said:
there are alot of things we could do cheaper/easier
and meet all our objectives
but we are men so we "need" 25 ton splitters
100 cc saws
4x4 trucks
diesel tractors
big trailers
to process all our FREE wood
so realistically if you took the
12000 spent on the tractor
20000 on the truck
couple thousand in saws and splitter
fuel... stove
you could heat the house the rest of your life
and never process any wood
and have some change
to take the wife on vacation

It's all just to keep the wife warm and happy anyways right? ;-)

This video is mostly the guy talking but he is funny to listen to. If you want to see a little electric split a good sized green oak round jump over 3/4 of the way through. But the entertainment is listening to him.

I buy wood mostly split, then I finish it with a splitting axe. These things are cool though and would do a great job. They fit a need for me at my office instead of a gas one. I can't store a gas one in my building. One of these electrics would be no problem.

firecracker_77 said:
That room that guy is in looks like a torture chamber basement in a slasher film.

And you know this how?

Status
Not open for further replies.