Powdered graphite still the best to lube the auger?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krooser

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 2, 2008
Waupaca, WI
www.rumblefest.net
The auger on my St Croix Pepin started making a low moaning/squealing sound last nite.

At first I thought my ex-girlfriend was back in town but after ruling THAT out I discovered it was the stove. I have a small bottle of MOPAR speedo cable lube leftover from the 50's... it's graphite. Don't have a lot... maybe 3 oz's.... just wondering if that will be enough?

I've had great success after scraping off all the carbon just spraying a good amount of pledge and leaving it. It becomes real slick after mixing with fine sawdust,
You can also raise the heat on it to get rid of the carbon.
Good luck

Don't think it's carbon deposits although it could be.

The St Croix auger ends about 8" above the fire pot and is pretty much out of the way of the burning pellets. I know the Harman's auger is right next to the flame. I still think graphite should help quiet it down.. this is the first time the auger has done any protesting... must have joined the Occupy A Pellet Stove bunch!

krooser,

I know I'll take some heat for this but in my old EF-2 when the auger would start to squeak I did the following.
Add in some vegetable oil.

Run the hopper to almost empty.

Take a coffee cup and fill it 3/4 full with pellets.
Pour in some vegetable oil and mix it in the cup so that all pellets are coated.

Dump the cup into the hopper near the auger.

Fill the hopper with a fresh bag of pellets like normal.

As the coated pellets move into the auger it will leech oil into the nooks an crannies of the auger bushing.
On my EF-2 it quieted it right down.
Further pellets clean the tube and auger.
I saw no adverse effects.

I would repeat this whenever it started to squeak. About once a month.

Your mileage may vary.
Good Luck,
---Nailer---

Reactions: VTPellet
Thanks folks... all good suggestions really.... I was thinking of lubing every pellet individually as it would keep my wife busy.

Well I tried the veggie oil deal... it's quieter but still not silent.

Couldn't find the graphite in the shop today... might have to send the bride out to True Value in the AM... I'm not up for travel just yet as I've been battling a little pneumonia since last Friday.

Krooser,

Sorry the veggie oil didn't work for you.

Perhaps it is time to pull the auger out and replace the bushing(s).

You should be able to find replacements at any bearing shop.

Or on-line at a place like McMaster-Carr
McMaster-Carr
http://www.mcmaster.com/#wear-bushings/=frvipx

Pull out your old ones and measure them up.

Not a hard job.

---Nailer---

Krooser, have you changed brands of pellets right before the noise started? I have certain brands that make the auger squeal, but as soon as I change to another brand, the noise goes away without doing anything else to the stove.

Other than that, I guess checking for carbon build-up on auger tube, or possibly fines build-up in auger flight.

Update....

After posting that the veggie oil didn't work the auger went silent!

Tonite I just doused the auger with an ounce or so of graphite after I ran the stove out of fuel to clean it.

And, yes, I switched to a different batch of Western Elite's from my dealer. These pellets are darker in color than any I have seen before from the brand... and there are more fines in the bag than ever. Maybe they didn't screen 'em after they arrived on the train before they bagged 'em? Anyway they burn fine but I never had an auger noise before...

Hey Krooser! Hope your feeling better soon! Take care!

Wi Thundercat said:
Hey Krooser! Hope your feeling better soon! Take care!

X2! I had pneumonia back in October and it kicked my BUTT! I had a fever over 100* for 5 days. I finally ended up in the ER to get IV antibiotics.

I'll have to try to veg. Oil trick then! Thanks nailer. Sorry to hear about your ailment Krooser. I had to force my wife to go into the ER a few years ago because of pneumonia. She was almost halucinating with a fever and didn't want to go, she's tough. Doctor said, another day and it could have been a really bad emergency. Get well soon!

Thanks for the well wishes guys... I'm a little better and hould be able to get back on the road on Monday.

I caought pneumonia after some surgery I had done back in '85... lost 35 lbs in three weeks!!! Looked darn near as good as imacman... but we all know HIS pics are photoshopped!
BTW... my stove is now almost silent (at least the auger) after a cleaning and that graphite... thanks to all.

Glad to hear your feeling a bit better Krooser.

As for my photoshopped pics, I thought that was a secret between friends?? ;-)

Attachments

• LiquidWrenchwithCerflon.jpg
    LiquidWrenchwithCerflon.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 870
krooser said:
Don2222 said:
Hello Krooser

I just had a similar problem with the Auger Bushing.

This is what I found at the auto parts store to be the very best lube for lasting a long time!!
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/88287/

looks like a good product... I'll have to look for some.

It is great for augers and motors. We started having a real noisey problem with the bathroom vent fan. It is a squirel cage fan. I tried WD-40 - Worked but did not last, Lithium Greese - goopy and did not work. Then I tried this Cerflon stuff! Well that was almost 2 months ago and not a peep out of it!! This stuff rates high in my book after that episode!!!

GrahamInVa said:
Graphite power helps mine quite right down. Don't need much, tablespoon or so.
Where exactly would the graphite be applied?

imacman said:
Glad to hear your feeling a bit better Krooser.

As for my photoshopped pics, I thought that was a secret between friends?? ;-)

I'm not admitting to you sending me any "secret" photos of yourself....

VCBurner said:
GrahamInVa said:
Graphite power helps mine quite right down. Don't need much, tablespoon or so.
Where exactly would the graphite be applied?

You just sprinkle it on the auger as the pellet hopper gets emptied... I also put some on the hopper walls...many folks here have used that to keep the pellets sliding into the hopper and not sticking to the sides. I thought I'd give it try, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.