Power backup for Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ossy

Hearth Supporter
Jul 13, 2008
Central Maine
So, I bought an Enlander 25pvdc....any out there have battery backup for your pellet stove?...if so, did you buy it or build it?...I am pretty handy, especially with mechanical and electrical and was thinking of building a "lite" solar system to keep a small battery bank charged....any thoughts?

I believe you'll need an inverter if you want to go with batteries. I suspect you'd need a pretty good sized system if you want to sustain battery backup for any long period of time. With an inverter and a single deep cycle, you probably wouldn't get more than an hour or two out of it...

By the time you pay for the inverter, batteries, solar system, and associated materials, I think you'll find it's not going to be cheap. You might want to consider a generator instead...

Ossy said:
So, I bought an Enlander 25pvdc....any out there have battery backup for your pellet stove?...if so, did you buy it or build it?...I am pretty handy, especially with mechanical and electrical and was thinking of building a "lite" solar system to keep a small battery bank charged....any thoughts?

you will want a system that can provide about 350 watts continuous in pure sine wave for however long you feel it is needed in a power outage situation (this is considering that you will already have the stove running , i did not figure in the igniter's needs. it uses 300 watts for 13 minutes during the startup cycle and doesnt run after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.