Power cord location for Rockland C550 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fouzafire

Hearth Supporter
Sep 17, 2009
Central Coast CA
Hello,
We are going to install a Jotul Rockland C550 fireplace insert and are wondering if it is safe to run the power to the inside back of the existing fireplace. All the pretty pictures Jotul provides don't show a cord running across the hearth, and the manual provided by Jotul only explains installation in that manner. Our installer is not concerned about putting power in the fireplace, even quoted us a price to drill through the back of the fireplace and install an outlet there. We're waffling though because we've read 'somewhere' (probably here) that it gets really hot behind the insert (makes total sense) and perhaps this isn't the best idea after all and we should just suck it up and try to handle having a cord running across the hearth. There is not going to be tons of room around the insert. It measures 30"W x 18"D x 24"H and our fireplace opening is 35"W x 23"D x 26"H. Anyone got experience with this? i.e. frying cords behind a fireplace insert?
Thanks!

Per the manual, you can put the cord on either side of the blower, if that solves your problem.

We have concealed the electric in the firebox for wood burning inserts.
None of the electrical experts we've talked to have been able to cite
anything in the electrical code which prevents this install.
We tapcon a metal box to the floor of the firebox, run BX cable from
the basement & up thru the ash cleanout,
since the floor is the coolest area behind the insert.
We also brake bend a piece of aluminum to make a heat shield & position
that over the outlet, leaving a gap (1") for air flow.
To date we haven't had any failures of the power cord.
HTH

My power cord is tucked along the side of the fireplace floor, then around the back side and down the ash clean out. From there, it's connected to an outlet in the basement. We burned 24x7 last season and no signs of melting. I even took off the surround piece's to get an idea of how warm it was on the fireplace floor. Warm, but not hot at all on the fireplace floor. My installer and inspector had absolutely no issues with this approach. Like others said, I don't know if bringing power to the fireplace floor is up to code but it seams perfectly safe IMO.

stejus said:
My power cord is tucked along the side of the fireplace floor, then around the back side and down the ash clean out. From there, it's connected to an outlet in the basement. We burned 24x7 last season and no signs of melting. I even took off the surround piece's to get an idea of how warm it was on the fireplace floor. Warm, but not hot at all on the fireplace floor. My installer and inspector had absolutely no issues with this approach. Like others said, I don't know if bringing power to the fireplace floor is up to code but it seams perfectly safe IMO.

Stejus, did you connect your inserts cord to an extention cord or is your inserts cord that long? I was thinking about running the inserts cord just like you did but would have to us an extension cord to make it to the nearest outlet in the basement.

Pro DIY said:
stejus said:

Stejus, did you connect your inserts cord to an extension cord or is your inserts cord that long? I was thinking about running the inserts cord just like you did but would have to us an extension cord to make it to the nearest outlet in the basement.

I used a heavy duty (outdoor rated) extension cord. I can't remember the gauge, but it's thick. We tied the two together in a knot where they come together in case I ever need to pull the insert power cord back without taking the insert out. The extension cord is the orange cord coming out of the ash clean-out.

Attachments

• stove in house4.JPG
    stove in house4.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 659
One thing to consider is the temp rating of the connector you use - most household wiring is NMD 90, and rated to 90* C, where as most extension cords top out around 40 or 60 degrees (rating is usually molded into the side of the wire casing). So to be prudent, pick cabling that is rated for higher temps.

I havent run my cable behind the surround, but I do hate looking at it in front of the stove, so I am considering doing so.

My 2 cents.

I like the idea of going out the floor - problem is I'm on a slab. Here in Cali we don't have many basements :) So I would need to go out the side of the fireplace but could bias low to get as far down as possible to stay cool. Has anyone ever drilled through the side of a fireplace?? I've never made a fireplace so I don't know what I'm in for (other than a super long masonry bit of course).

DAKSY said:
We tapcon a metal box to the floor of the firebox, run BX cable from the basement & up thru the ash cleanout, since the floor is the coolest area behind the insert. We also brake bend a piece of aluminum to make a heat shield & position that over the outlet, leaving a gap (1") for air flow.

Daksy, Thanks for the details! We do have an ash cleanout but it will be under the fireplace insert after installation. When you do this, is your heat shield protecting the cord from the bottom of the insert or from the heat off the back of the insert?

fouzafire said:
DAKSY said:
We tapcon a metal box to the floor of the firebox, run BX cable from the basement & up thru the ash cleanout, since the floor is the coolest area behind the insert. We also brake bend a piece of aluminum to make a heat shield & position that over the outlet, leaving a gap (1") for air flow.

Daksy, Thanks for the details! We do have an ash cleanout but it will be under the fireplace insert after installation. When you do this, is your heat shield protecting the cord from the bottom of the insert or from the heat off the back of the insert?

Heat protection...

fouzafire said:
I like the idea of going out the floor - problem is I'm on a slab. Here in Cali we don't have many basements :) So I would need to go out the side of the fireplace but could bias low to get as far down as possible to stay cool. Has anyone ever drilled through the side of a fireplace?? I've never made a fireplace so I don't know what I'm in for (other than a super long masonry bit of course).

We use a 1-1/4 dia. masonry bit on a BF hammer drill. Use a reference point from inside the house...
A window sill is a good one...Measure down to see how far the floor of the firebox is, then go outside
& reference the same window sill & mark the location on the brick.
Drill from the outside in, because it'll leave a clean hole on that surface.
When the drill finally breaks thru, it'll EXPLODE the surface surrounding the
hole, & you're gonna hide that surface when the insert is installed.
HTH

DAKSY said:
fouzafire said:

Heat protection...

Don't understand your answer. Is the shield enough heat protection if the insert sits on top of the cleanout? I'm thinking the fireplaces you've worked with might have their ash cleanouts way in the back or something...

fouzafire said:
DAKSY said:
fouzafire said:

Heat protection...

Don't understand your answer. Is the shield enough heat protection if the insert sits on top of the cleanout? I'm thinking the fireplaces you've worked with might have their ash cleanouts way in the back or something...

Sorry to be confusing. The heat shield is to protect the power cord & junction box from the heat off the side of the unit.
If you can't get juice thru the ash clean-out due to its location, it's still possible to bring the feed up thru the cleanout & then chisel a trough in the fire box floor past where the insert will end to lay the line in...
I would lay a piece of aluminum sheet over the groove to add additional heat shielding
HTH

DAKSY said:
Sorry to be confusing. The heat shield is to protect the power cord & junction box from the heat off the side of the unit.
If you can't get juice thru the ash clean-out due to its location, it's still possible to bring the feed up thru the cleanout & then chisel a trough in the fire box floor past where the insert will end to lay the line in...
I would lay a piece of aluminum sheet over the groove to add additional heat shielding
HTH

That's a great idea - thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.