1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Power Failure and Refrigerator

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by velvetfoot, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    Will the small 2 stroke HF genny run a fridge?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Put freezer stuff in coolers outside, to keep animals out

Weather for Sand Lake, NY

[​IMG]25°F | °CWedThuFriSat
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Heavy Snow Wind: N at 10 mph Humidity: 93%
  3. nate379

nate379 Guest

I got real lucky and didn't ruin my laminate floor from the ice maker. Power was out for a few days when I was not home. Came home to a huge puddle on the kitchen floor. Ice had melted and the water ran out of the dispenser in the door. Completely stupid design!
    Now if the house is empty for a few days or more I dump out the ice and turn it off.
    pen likes this.
  4. nate379

nate379 Guest

I just put in totes and toss in one of the vehicles outside. I've got 3 or 4 that hardly ever get used.
  5. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Thats a good idea to :) ;)
    Long time ago , I went one winter ,didn't even have a frig , I used coolers outside for everything ;lol
  6. woodgeek

woodgeek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    and a couple CFLs and my insert blower simultaneously. With the ice maker turned off. Right at the edge, but no prob for 5 days.
  7. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Yes. It does take a heavy hit once in a while when the fridge does its thing, but the only other stuff we had on were the insert fan and some cf lights.

edit: Could've watched some TV I guess with the fridge turned off, (it's plugged into a switchable surge suppressor extension cord, which probably isn't a bad thing anyway), but nothing was on. :)
  8. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    see post #10

But seriously, I just didn't think of it, even though we've done that in the past when we didn't use a generator. I figured the outage wouldn't last that long and I'd run the little genny anyway.