Power outage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Here is another. It took 40 yrs for this to happen.
View attachment 290040
Surprised that outside wall is still standing with the ceiling joists in the wrong direction like that....LOL
Its fun posting up pics of someone elses misery, eh bubbas?
Especially after you were nice enough to have warned them ahead of time.

Last edited:
Believe it or not many ppl heat with wood because it's what they can afford, not because they are pretending to be self sufficient.
Maybe we need a free stove pipe program funded out of the Ag Dept.....LOL....At least I'd feel like a little bit of my taxes went to a good cause.

Believe it or not many ppl heat with wood because it's what they can afford, not because they are pretending to be self sufficient.
Maybe we need a free stove pipe program funded out of the Ag Dept.....LOL....At least I'd feel like a little bit of my taxes went to a good cause.
Yes many of us are fully aware of the fact many heat with wood because it's their only option. We do a few free jobs a year for people who have no options. And also accept payments from others who can't pay upfront.

Yes many of us are fully aware of the fact many heat with wood because it's their only option. We do a few free jobs a year for people who have no options. And also accept payments from others who can't pay upfront.
That's awesome

Surprised that outside wall is still standing with the ceiling joists in the wrong direction like that....LOL
Its fun posting up pics of someone elses misery, eh bubbas?
Especially after you were nice enough to have warned them ahead of time.
That second picture is of a friend's sister's home. That's her bed to the left. Very fortunately, she smelled smoke as she was getting ready to go to bed. No one had any idea that the mason had cut corners and left the exposed flue tiles like that.

The picture is just an example of the risks of pyrolysis and how saying "it's worked fine for xx years, is no guarantee of future safety. The work we do here, year after year, is to help people burn safely. Mockery may be fun on FB, but that is not the intent here.

Well my wood stove setup did not meet the high standards of this forum. However having said that, my 1984 Jotul woodstove install worked just fine in a pinch! 4 days of no power here in Central VA some folks still have no power 6 days later! My house was warmer with this woodstove than it is when i have my heatpump running I keep it at 65, my heat pump is super old too!
My neighbors were all running to TRY to find hotel rooms in an almost Armageddon situation here. Over half my power company's customers were without power and some still are. Temps last night were in the single digits I am sure that anyone still without power has just about had it especially ones without backup heat.
How bad was the buildup in the pipe?

Posted in the fb wood heat page. I cant see anything wrong here. haha

View attachment 290551
This is in the style of Central Pennsylvania, no?

Draft? Nah, don't need that.. horizontal flue is perfectly fine... I even insulated it...
Sadly I have a horizontal flue on my wood furnace. No joke. It was done by a licensed plumbing and heating guy not long before I bought the house. I am only half way through the season and I pulled 6 gallons of creosote out of the stove pipe and 3 gallons out of the liner.

I posted it in the furnace section, but these are the photos for your amusement.

290093-d6e502fc75357bf2b20cf2989f70755d.jpg 290094-4180576c2c0e359a1c539a91a0c0ba38.jpg 290095-d975e6e613fcce159d1293c25688d098.jpg

W
How bad was the buildup in the pipe?

This is in the style of Central Pennsylvania, no?

Sadly I have a horizontal flue on my wood furnace. No joke. It was done by a licensed plumbing and heating guy not long before I bought the house. I am only half way through the season and I pulled 6 gallons of creosote out of the stove pipe and 3 gallons out of the liner.

I posted it in the furnace section, but these are the photos for your amusement.

View attachment 290805 View attachment 290806 View attachment 290807
Great post! What temps do you see at the adapter exit area?

W

Great post! What temps do you see at the adapter exit area?
It is never very hot. The air intake is locked in the fully open position. Normally this is only done during a power outage. There is a servo that opens and closes the air intake in response to the wood thermostat. Mine gets stuck and does not function (part of the Grade F furnace install). Anyway, it is fully open and the temperatures never run away. In fact I often have to open the door to the ash pan to prevent it from burning too cold. Even then it only gets in the moderate range (300 to 500 degrees... never above 600, and that would be only momentarily).

One poster pointed out that insulation would help prevent the cooling of the smoke and buildup to some degree. This is true... however I also have an overall draft problem at the furnace. It doesn't draw enough. It will smoke into the basement.

I want to get rid of the thing, and probably get a boiler for backup heat. However, I need to use it at least this season. I wonder if there is any in line fan that could help move the exhaust through this 7" horizontal stove pipe at get it at least to the vertical chimney liner.

Also, I wonder what you guys think of this wood-oil combo furnace in general. Napoleon HMF-150. I will mostly be using wood stoves on first floor. If I arrange different backup heat (boiler or even electric).... is there any good use for this old furnace, or is it scrap? I could potentially move the furnace close to the thimble and improve the draft situation. I am tired of the dust and noise, but I am wondering about taking out most of the ductwork and just having it blow into the basement to keep the basement at 50 degrees or so, when it gets really cold.

I can't imagine it has any resale value, right?

If you havent called Efficiency Vermont, give them a call. They are paid off a surcharge on your power bill and are supposed to be in the business or working with ratepayers to reduce their electrical usage. Its a start.

About ten years ago a friend of mine had a fire start in the wall behind the prefab fire place. charring of wood supports and such as the other pictures showed they were lucky( sort of ). He just happened to lean against the wall next to the fire place and was surprised it was so hot. No other indication at that time , called FD and by the time they got there things were getting to be a hot time in the old town. Apx a 50 year old install- came with the house.