Power your stuff without wires or batteries

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
I have thought about this for many years, but my limited knowledge of physics made me think it was impossible to do with any level of efficiency.

http://www.boston.com/business/tech...06/08/mit_team_lights_it_up____without_wires/

It involves sending electricity through the air - like radio waves! The possibilities are endless....maybe someday our roads will send power to the car running on top of them, or we will beam power from space to a dish on our roof.

Yeah, Tesla could power some good size electric motors with wireless power.

He got some funding from guys who thought he was building a telegraph tower!

Also, wireless power was used in the SF novel Buck Rogers (it power the bad guys ships).

Man, I have to get a life.....

I've always thought that this would be a great way to get rid of all those chargers that come with every battery-powered appliance you buy these days. Like me, most people probably have drawers full of them and no idea what they went (or go) to. A universal wireless charger would solve that problem. Just park the cell phone or computer or whatever next to any wireless charger to juice it back up. Every hotel room should have one.

Yes, Nikolai Tesla envisioned a wireless world a century ago. He was totally convinced that resonant coils were the answer.

It will be interesting to see how this develops. It would be great to have WiFi piggybacked on the carrier wave. That would get rid of the power + USB wires going to everything. I also like the idea of getting rid of the 7 power bricks I have by the computer.

Though wrong or right, I'm sure there are going to be some health concerns about this too.

Wireless electricity. I've always wanted a way to avoid all the hassle of trying to replace old BX electrical wiring with newer Romex stuff without the hassle of fishing through walls... Sounds like this could one day replace the wiring..ha! :)

Now if we can invent the wireless electric chair...:)

Jay

HarryBack said:
GVA said:
Didn't Nikola Tesla already do this in the early 20th century?
In addition to him inventing radio (not Marconi).

yep, exactly right, GVA......Tesla was a man WAY ahead of his time!

Gentlemen...
...Not to "rain on the parade"...but a couple of things to keep in mind. Back in Tesla's day...nobody had cell phones, radio or anything else...the RF spectrum was "wide open"...keep in mind Jan 1st, 2008 (or 2009) broadcast TV is going "bye-bye" forever. The spectrum is gonna be grabbed for national security purposes.

"Wireless power" for anything other than communications is a "pipe dream". If you think "someday the world will run without wires"...you got a better hope of seeing "Big oil's grasp disapear" first.

It will never happen folks!

Something else to keep in mind: Didn't Tesla die under "mysterious circumstances"??? Any and all records of his work "disappeared" too...funny?

Him and Jimmy Hoffa shared the same fate..."The Orginazation got em'...."

...Think about it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.