PowerBack For Electric Outages

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
We had a small power outage yesterday, and I thought I'd write this.

I worry about power issues when electricity is restored so I usually switch off the main breaker whenever there is an outage. I also turn off the main breaker, naturally, whenever I run a generator which is hooked in through an interlock to my panel. Thing is, there is no alert when utility power comes back. The PowerBack mounts on the panel and senses utility power inductively with a wire wrapped around an incoming leg (before the main breaker). The battery powered unit makes a warbling sound when power comes back. Yes, it could be louder, but I leave the basement door open and I can hear it upstairs okay. It's not that expensive and it works.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Reliance-Controls-PowerBack-Utility-Power-Return-Alert-THP108/202216506

27a01d68-a058-44c4-b462-bf5f1bfb3525_400.jpg

I like it. HD is out of them, apparently, but ebay has them for $35 and up.

Velvetfoot, I have the same set up at you but without the device. I eyed that same one but the thought of having to wrap something around my live service leg is off putting. how did you install this?

I just keep looking outside for my neighbors lights, who I know do not have a generator.

Yeah, I have a PowerBack on my panel, works great!

Yes, I don't like my process at all. it does include checking the neighbors lights way too frequently. I usually check once per hour. Believe it or not, it does work during the day because my very strange neighbors leave their porch light on 24/7.

I do however want this powerback sensor. do you know if it will work wrapped around both legs of the incoming line, or does it have to go into the panel and around just one leg?

If it would work around both legs, I can wrap it around in a much safer less accident prone manner.

actually thats a great idea. i can buy this now and just wait till the power is out to install it!. I suppose the power could come back on any second, but it would be added protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.