PP 130 doesn’t run when a fan blows on it

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jeremy6500

Feeling the Heat
Jan 22, 2021
Indiana
9FF1E42C-B391-4343-A876-EABF03946665.jpeg
Hi all,
I have a PP130 that I use for heat. I have found a weird issue with it. I have a box fan the I blow at it to circulate the colder air towards it and push the hotter air out of the archway (behind the fan) into my living area. What I find weird is that when I have the fan blowing on it it doesn’t run hardly at all. I would think that the opposite would happen. Any ideas?

Does it have a room temperature sensor? You might be blowing the heat onto the sensor. I do the same thing when it’s cold but go on an angle so some goes behind it and some in front

Does it have a room temperature sensor? You might be blowing the heat onto the sensor. I do the same thing when it’s cold but go on an angle so some goes behind it and some in front
Yes it has a room temperature sensor. It is mounted on the bottom right side of the stove where the room blower pulls air in. There is also a location for it on the back of the stove. My concern with that location is that it is right agianst an exterior wall and window.

Hi all,
I have a PP130 that I use for heat. I have found a weird issue with it. I have a box fan the I blow at it to circulate the colder air towards it and push the hotter air out of the archway (behind the fan) into my living area. What I find weird is that when I have the fan blowing on it it doesn’t run hardly at all. I would think that the opposite would happen. Any ideas?
I don't have a whole lot to offer on the particular issue, other than the temperature sensor deal sounds like a good place to start.

Are you using the comfort zone dial on a particular setting? What you may try doing is set it to "max" so the pellet stove runs continuous as a test - I realize you may not want it to run continuous, but it may very well give you more data points to look at the overall scenario.

On another thought - can you let us know what your fuel consumption is of your stove if you do run it continuous? That is one of the models I am looking at and am trying to get an idea of how long I can run a pellet stove on a given amount of fuel, or the opposite - how much fuel I need for a given amount of time.

I don't have a whole lot to offer on the particular issue, other than the temperature sensor deal sounds like a good place to start.

Are you using the comfort zone dial on a particular setting? What you may try doing is set it to "max" so the pellet stove runs continuous as a test - I realize you may not want it to run continuous, but it may very well give you more data points to look at the overall scenario.

On another thought - can you let us know what your fuel consumption is of your stove if you do run it continuous? That is one of the models I am looking at and am trying to get an idea of how long I can run a pellet stove on a given amount of fuel, or the opposite - how much fuel I need for a given amount of time.
I am running on comfort mode set at about 2.5. With the current temps it does not run continuously and usually hangs out around level 1 or 2 when it is running (comfort mode fluctuates between 1-5)

When it is cold out and running continuously I get 20-24 hours out of a bag, so I can go about 3 days on my he included hopper. They have a 200lb hopper extension you can get for it that would make me able to run 7-8 days without a refill.

Reactions: FlyFish'n
When it is cold out and running continuously I get 20-24 hours out of a bag, so I can go about 3 days on my he included hopper. They have a 200lb hopper extension you can get for it that would make me able to run 7-8 days without a refill.
I assume by "bag" you mean a 40lb bag?

That in my humble opinion is a bad install. You should never have a biomass stove in front of a window. Cannot speak for the fan, but I'll put one on top of my stove to blow the heated air outward if it's real bitter out.

That in my humble opinion is a bad install. You should never have a biomass stove in front of a window. Cannot speak for the fan, but I'll put one on top of my stove to blow the heated air outward if it's real bitter out.

I agree with you about the install. It even says in the manual not to do it. It was that way when I purchased the house and is one of the many things I am fixing. By next winter it should be relocated, just have a few other moving pieces I have to get done to open up the space for its final location. It will end up going where this one currently is. This one will be moved to the utility room and plumbed into duct work to be used as a furnace.
IMG_1965.JPG

Don't care for that either because the room air fan on a freestanding stove isn't capable of moving the heated air through ductwork. If you want to go that route you need an 'add on' biomass furnace that has a blower capable of moving the air in duct work and has a dedicated return air entrance.

Freestanding units aren't designed to be modified like that. it's yours so you can do whatever you want but I don't believe you'll be happy with the results.

Don't care for that either because the room air fan on a freestanding stove isn't capable of moving the heated air through ductwork. If you want to go that route you need an 'add on' biomass furnace that has a blower capable of moving the air in duct work and has a dedicated return air entrance.

Freestanding units aren't designed to be modified like that. it's yours so you can do whatever you want but I don't believe you'll be happy with the results.
The unit in the picture is a USSC Mutli-fuel furnace. It is designed to be used in a ducted system as either a primary or supplementary heat source. Am I misunderstanding your statement or the design of the unit pictured?
USSCFurnace.PNG

Pardon my dust. Sure looks like a freestanding unit to me. I see no attached duct work either. Maybe I'm blind.

Pardon my dust. Sure looks like a freestanding unit to me. I see no attached duct work either. Maybe I'm blind.
I must not be understanding what you mean by "A free standing unit" compared to an "add on bio-mass unit". This is what is shows in the owners manual about installation. It currently is not hooked up to any duct work. It has an outlet on the top front of the stove that blows air straight up and is flanged to accept the duct work. It has 2 x 800CFM blowers for the duct blowers compared to the 265CFM blower on my PP130 pellet stove.
USSCInstall1.PNG

USSCInstall2.PNG