Pre-Fab Fireplace to Wood burning insert???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

agford4x4

Hearth Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
TX
I have an SHR42 (vermont castings) fireplace, its just a prefab, installed at the time the house was built.

I want to install one of those fireplaces that is woodburning, but has a blower that will put the hot air BACK into the room, instead of up the chimney. I know they make these for masonry fireplaces, but do they make something that will slide into a pre fab fireplace, or will this require taking the old one out and starting over?

You can take the old one out and install an EPA rated fireplace, you could install an insert in the SHR42. I don't think there are any blower unit like your talking about made for ZC's anymore. (You might try thermo-rite they make one but I think it's only for Masonry applications) Look into the VC Sequoia EPA rated fireplaces, they might use the same chimney as the SHR42 which will save you some $$$ if you do indeed decide to replace it. The smaller Sequoia is non cat and the larger is catalytic.

What i want to avoid is having to REMOVE my SHR42, especially since the masonry (the grout, anyway) is placed around the fireplace. If i take it out, then ill probably mess up the limestone and grout around it.

Does this make sense? Also, the sequioa says it uses the 8" chimney system. Mine is an 11"

The SHR42 appears to have an 11" ID chimney that I assume is not HT2100 rated, so you won't be able to use it for an EPA ZC fireplace (they use 6" or 8" ID HT2100 chimney). It is UL127 listed, which I think means you can put an insert in it if you can find one that fits, but you'll need to run an insulated liner down the existing chimney. Or you can just pull it all out and replace it with a new ZC unit and matching chimney.

Edit: I posted before I saw the previous reply, obviously.

but you’ll need to run an insulated liner down the existing chimney.

What do you mean? My 'chimney' is basically a wood framed box that runs up to the roof, and has a 11" pipe inside for the pre fab fireplace. What needs to be insulated? Sorry for all the questions, im not familiar with fireplace stuff.

By "chimney" I meant the 11" pipe itself; I believe that to make it suitable for an insert you need to run an insulated 6" liner down inside the existing pipe. Since the existing pipe is air cooled, you also need to make sure not to block any air intakes into the outer 14" pipe.

If you are going to do it you need a new chimney like Disco says....You are in Texas, it is supposed to be warm there!

I opted to rip my prefab fire place out and install a wood stove correctly

Yes, its warm. But, we do get some temps into the 40's and 50's....and i REALLY like having a fire. I dont NEED it.

The only thing i need is a reason to build a fire. Its just cozy.

I just wish there was a way to take the pre fab out without having to have a mason redo the trim.

Yes you can look at the Regency or Lopi...they both make a very good looking insert for prefabs that are very effient

Thats cool.

Any idea on a rough guess on teh cost of one of these things installed?

Also, the LOPI specifically state NOT to install it into a pre fab ZC fireplace.

Buck stove corp makes some good pre fab wood stoves.

http://www.buckstove.com/wood.html

You will want to pull the existing liner out (to me that is the right way)

Perhaps you can run a 6" liner down it (I probably would not)

Have a stove company come out and give it a look. I had two come to my house and got estimates from each.

Make certain that any inserts you look at are approved specifically for you brand of ZC fireplace - they say so on the manual usually. As mentioned you must put another pipe within the existing 11" pipe - this one a 6" pipe. The manual should make it clear as to the installation details.

yes ...Lopi, and Regency both make a insert for prefab zc. I pondered both, and went with the Regency i1100. I was limited by clearence. mine is put into a 36" Heatilator wood burning fire place. either can be done "installed with ss liner" for 2500 to 3000. least wise here in MIchigan !!

Status
Not open for further replies.