Pre Fab Glass Doors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

12guns

Sep 29, 2012
Ok, so I've done lots of reading and know the knee jerk response will be to buy only prefab glass doors that are model specific to my fireplace. I would like, however to dig a little deeper and have some of you guys help me think through this. It might open me to more options for nicer glass doors.
I have an FMI 42C fireplace. There are holes for glass doors, but no rail or door guides installed. I understand the prefab fireplaces have air vents to keep them from overheating. My dilemma is this: If I put the "prefab" bi fold doors that are designed for this fireplace, they will cover the two large air vents (one on either side down low). If I were to buy masonry glass doors, they also would be covering the vents. In other words, the vents will be running wide open and fresh, cool air will be sucked in from outside to fuel combustion. That won't change a bit with masonry or prefab doors. So what gives? Other than a slightly larger gap in the doors themselves (shouldn't make a difference), why wouldn't masonry doors work just the same? There is no blower, and no other exterior vents on the outside of the metal or brick. I'll try to attach a couple pics. I built my first fire in our recently purchased house yesterday. Everything draws great and vents stayed cool due to outside air flow. Please help me think through this. If I were able to use masonry doors that mount inside the brick, there are many more options with cabinet style doors. If somebody can explain why masonry doors are a bad idea, or how the airflow would be different with prefab doors, I'll stick to prefab. I certainly want to be safe, I just can't see the difference between them on my fireplace. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2551.JPG
    IMG_2551.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2552.JPG
    IMG_2552.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2553.JPG
    IMG_2553.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2555.JPG
    IMG_2555.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 59
I don't think this fireplace is designed for 24/7 heating. It shouldn't be modified except with door approved by the mfg.. Vents should not be blocked. The doors are mostly decorative. For heating the best bet would be a decent hearth stove.

This looks like the company that made the fireplace. I'd contact them to see what doors they recommend.
http://www.fmiproducts.com/contactus.htm

Thanks for the reply. I agree, however if I used the "factory recommended" glass doors, they will install in the track/holes you can see in the pictures. If that's the case, the interior vents are kept inside which allows for continuous air flow (cooling). That being the case, I see no reason why glass doors installed on the inside of the brick would be a bad idea. I don't plan to heat my house with this, but I will enjoy fires on cool nights and want glass doors to close when we go upstairs to bed. Any other thoughts?

No other thoughts. I defer to the recommendation of the fireplace mfg..

Reactions: bholler
Status
Not open for further replies.