Prefab Concerns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bdwilliams

Feb 12, 2020
Maryland
Hello.

A fireplace contractor in Maryland began installing a prefab fireplace for me yesterday. He ripped the old one out and is in the process of installing a new majestic unit now. He is coming by Saturday to finish the work. I am no expert, however I was looking over his work last night and have a few questions/reservations. Pictures are attached for reference. I would appreciate feedback and how you would go out the issue.

1) The fireplace does not sit level. It is not flush with the brick and I want the surround (whether I use slate or go with tile, granite, etc.) to fit properly and look nice.

2) He constructed a wooden platform for the unit to sit on. Looking over the install guide for my model, this is a no as the hearth stone will be about flush with the bifold doors. A piece of 1/2 plywood is sitting on top for photographic reference.

3) Should I be concerned that the flu pipe exiting the base is not flush all the way around? Also there is no evidence of self tapping screws.

I know that it is a tight space. The brick facade presented some additional challenges. The previous homeowner constructed the brick around the old unit. I did not want to rip the facade out.

Being a corner unit in a townhome, he was not able to access the unit from the exterior as I have seen in some YouTube videos.

Do I have valid concerns? Thanks!
774866AB-F405-44FE-A497-C05ACCDCCB5E.jpegBF6121F8-509B-463D-971F-29DF8B6144F3.jpegB84E9EC4-0BA4-4C08-81D6-E587F0903745.jpeg39EA0A04-6B9E-4A7C-BD9A-0AA0F36A4E9D.jpeg27AB476D-433B-4165-A762-9F3D935F7CF8.jpegFEF88102-F5DD-4EAA-A772-74D9467B73E9.jpeg

Yes you should be concerned. The unit needs to be level, and the elbow is not snapped down all the way. The other concerns are cosmetic.

Reactions: Bdwilliams