Preparing for next winter....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

southbalto

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2008
Mid-Atlantic
I installed a F400 in late December and am working through my pile of 2 year seasoned oak/cherry. What I have should get me into March but after that I won't have anything for next season. I'm more than happy to do the splitting. If I need to I'll pony up the cash for split/delivered but I would prefer to do the processing. What do you all think is the best way to go? I want 2-4 cords cut and stacked by late spring. I'll likely burn at least one and a half cords next season.

My options are as follows:

Buy some seasoned split wood (about 220 a cord)

Split some logs that were bucked 2 years ago (mix of poplar and oak) They have been sitting in the woods for quite awhile so some of it might be no good. Access is also somewhat of an issue. I need the ground to freeze hard.

Pay $50 a truckload (probably can get 3/4 cord in the truck) to pull a mix of cherry and oak off of a local property. The seller indicated that the trees have been down for awhile.

Have delivered logs that can be used for processing. I was quoted $40 per delivery (about 1.5 cords). I have no idea when the trees were cut.

Wood species is the key for you! You need to burn next year. Stay away from oak, it takes at least 2 yrs. Stay away from poplar, its low quality wood. Look for ash, locust, for next year. You should get other woods to store for at least 1 yr for the following year. The first couple of years its important to get a head. If you have to get oak. Split it small and stack it in a clearing off the ground and forgetaboutit for 2 yrs.
Wood doesn't really season until its split.

gzecc said:
Wood species is the key for you! You need to burn next year. Stay away from oak, it takes at least 2 yrs. Stay away from poplar, its low quality wood. Look for ash, locust, for next year. You should get other woods to store for at least 1 yr for the following year. The first couple of years its important to get a head. If you have to get oak. Split it small and stack it in a clearing off the ground and forgetaboutit for 2 yrs.
Wood doesn't really season until its split.

I'm thinkin of buying one seasoned cord and stacking it for use next year.

I'll split and stack another 2-3 cords ASAP and might try to mix some in for 2010-2011 but use the bulk of it for 2011-2012. I'm just not used to the demands of these epa stoves. I'm used to running a old, really old, defiant. It seemed so much easier.

I have never tried to buy a seasoned cord. I understand it is very difficult to find. Everyone says they are seasoned but they are not. What you will probably buy is oak that was split a month ago. It will not be ready for next year! You need ash and locust to catch you up!

See if you see any tree guys doing work in your area and talk to them. They do not all keep the wood. I get my wood from few guys and sometimes they even dump it off for me. I also know a guy from around me who looked on craigs list to find guys doing work who did not want the wood. Down side is you might have to do some cutting. If you have a saw your good to go and it beats 220 a load.

You can get logs delivered for $40 per 1.5 cord? that sounds like a great deal. Get two year's worth, and set aside the oak and hickory for the second year. Those two won't be seasoned well in only one year. most other woods will be fine for next year.

+1 on the above comment as your best deal.
If your buying cut & split wood now, A little tip I figured out: Tell the wood seller that you'll take their green'st, freshest stuff they have--at a discount. Your not going to use it until next year (their definition of "seasoned" is a joke anyway). My woodguy's price came down from $200 to $160. I have my last of 4 cords being delivered this way scheduled for this Sat. So I'll be set for 2010-11 soon. :) Stacking wood nicely on your own property for a year or more seems to be the only way to get wood that allows you to run the stove care-fee.
Then next year at this time, you can go on this site and knowingly tell fustrated woodburners: "It's your wood"

Status
Not open for further replies.