Prepping the fireplace for the stove! a few Qs.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pr0vidence

Nov 11, 2007
south central CT
Hey all!

We are busily preparing our fireplace for our new stove. I was hoping to call upon the knowledge of the board members. Previous owners of our home for some reason decided it would be a good idea to paint our brick fireplace seen here:

Fireplace2.JPG

we have removed the cover and tried to strip some of the paint off using a non-toxic stripper (ready strip?). didn't work so well, we also found that there's another yellow layer of pain under the white. Lovely.

You can't really see it in the picture above, but the white paint (at least) is just latex and was cracked and peeling underneath the cover all around the opening of the fireplace. I was just going to just try to take off the cracked and peeling bits and paint over it with high heat paint (it seems complete removal is not really an option, unfortunately). Then I started thinking that since the stove is going to be sitting in the fireplace and sticking out 5 inches, most of the heat that radiates off the stove is going to be flowing right up the face of the painted brick on the wide face of the fireplace (seen in the picture, the other outlet is abotu half the size). My concern is, if there is standard latex paint UNDER the high heat paint, is there still chance of it bubbling up underneath the high heat paint? If so, how far away from the top of the stove does it need to be before the intensity of the heat is low enough where latex paint won't bubble up anymore? 1 brick? 2? all the way up that face? I really wish it was never painted in the first place, but it is what it is.

I can provide pictures of the fireplace as it looks now without the cover, and with as much progress as we've made if that would help. I appreciate your time.

-pr0v

I wouldn't worry too much about the paint. It's probably seen more heat with the current configuration than with the new stove. It will depend to a certain extent on the stove choice, but it may end up being a non-issue. If you want to get the first couple levels of brick clean, you might try a heat gun to see if that facilitates removal.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't know if it matters, but we are getting an Avalon Rainier.

Just did a quick measurement. The opening for the fireplace is 28 inches. the stove is 21 1/8 inches without legs (which is how we are getting it), so there's roughly 7 inches of clearance, then the brick, so I don't know if that makes things clearer. I think i'm gonna try to take a heat gun to it anyway at least the first row of brick or two just to be on the safe side.

ruff it up and just go over it with some ledgestones, not worth the trouble IMHO unless you are in love with the brick.

Do you know how long there has been paint on that thing = possibility of a lead-based paint on there and heating it will not be good for your lungs - nor will dust. I would put some stone over it...

Status
Not open for further replies.