Pressure washer question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

maple1

Minister of Fire
Sep 15, 2011
Nova Scotia
Just got a new one. Has a Kohler 6hp engine & Himore PW26 pump.

Have always fed other ones out of a tank. This one won't do that. Needs way more pressure than that at the inlet (like, 20-30psi). Which after a lot of Googling seems pretty common these days. Have a feeling after all the searching that I will need another pump between it & the tank, which will be a big pain.

My question is, is there a way to mod it so it will work on a tank? Got some quick advice 'just take the check valve out'. But I think there are like 6 check valves inside this thing & seems they are all part of what makes it work. I know not much about these things, but I can take apart & put back together all kinds of stuff pretty good.

Anyone?

lift the tank off the ground and use a shorter larger diam hose... They also make little pumps that hook direct into a garden hose to boost pressure... Depending on your tank you could use air pressure to boost tank pressure 5-10 lbs may be enough to get it rolling

Water pressure will increase at the rate of .433 PSI per foot as you raise the tank...if you need 20-30 PSI to make it work, I doubt you can raise the tank high enough to make that work...sounds like you are going to be stuck adding a booster pump...maybe a small 12V RV water pump?

I have done it from a tank in the bed of a truck and the pressure washer on the ground but I wouldn’t do that again.

If inlet pressure is low you can cavitate the pump. Water is the coolant and lubricant. Sucking on water too hard will cause bubbles and the seals aren’t made to work with no pressure either.

Don’t do it, provide the specified inlet pressure with a garden hose from the domestic supply or adequate booster pump if you must use a tank.

It's a 750 gallon tank, up on a dump wagon. So if it's full, likely 4-5 psi feed pressure at the washer inlet on the ground. It's only a 2.3gpm pressure washer. Suspect that is full throttle, we're usually only using half throttle for what we need.

I get the 'safe way', and using a second pump, but we've had other pressure washers over the years that did it fine. Was there some kinda change in pump tech? Have only had box store sprayers, nothing high buck & expensive. Usually needed to replace them because they accidentally got left in a cold place for a winter.

Second pump would want to be gas powered. Likely could cabbage up a 12v one, but that would be a bigger pain. Tank & wagon gets parked in the woods. Looking like we might need to get a 1" gas pump to go with it. And hopefully find other uses for it.

Arrghh, disappointment....

Likely could cabbage up a 12v one, but that would be a bigger pain
12V battery and a cheap solar battery maintainer?

difference in manufacturers and size has allot to do with it. My old boss has a pressure washer that will only work of one outdoor tap on the property. Its the one closest to the water inlet. The rest of them the pressure washer will suck them dry. Mine will work on any tap on the property with no issues. Same engine size but different style of pump.. his puts out a higher GPM