Pretty but not high temp paint

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tinkertown

Sep 29, 2020
South Dakota
So i bought a Round Oak Duplex stove. Yup, it was all pretty and black! One small fire in it (outside thank heavens) and the paint is already just rubbing off. Yup that's the paint burning off. Pretty sure I know the answer to this question but hoping there is a short cut..... Do I need to take it all apart, strip the paint off and repaint it? The silver parts look to be OK, just the black that rubs off. And if so, what a good paint stripper and do I need to do any additional prep work before I repaint it?

Thank you in advance.

oof. you have a challenge here. Its all about how much burn off your willing to take. Ideally, id pull apart and sandblast the black pieces and repaint w thurmalox high temp paint. Problem with using paint stripper, is it is going to get into any crack in the stove and make repainting tricky if you can't get all the stripper off. Other thing, you could take off all the nickel, and use a pot blaster and just sandblast everything you can get at here. My guess is the non high temp paint made it into the cracks too, so you will still get that burning off in the first few good fires, and that may for may not effect how the high temp cures where it meets up with the old paint in the cracks.

Maybe someone else will have some better advice, but for me, I would have to take apart and sandblast and re assemble and paint correctly .

I would see if it blisters easily with a propane torch or burns off with direct flame contact.

Yup, I'd burn it off, either with a fire inside, or torch as was mentioned...one of those small toothbrush sized wire brushes in brass or stainless steel will work good to get the fried paint off then...

If this is a basic spray-on lacquer job it might be worth testing out lacquer thinner or acetone on an area and see if it dissolves the paint.