prevailing winds, central CT?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toonces

Nov 7, 2011
Farmington Valley, CT
i'm trying to get all this wood split and stacked so i can assess what i have and see if i have room for more. i have a narrow backyard of which the center portion i want to keep open for regular use so i'm trying to keep the stacks to the edge. the swath of open yard is almost directly E/W with trees lining both the North and South side. not heavy vegetation, but more property markers. i'm guessing the prevailing winds are S/SW here (i'm in the Farmington Valley) so should i stack my wood facing the yard or at an angle to the yard? maybe 45° in the SW direction? thanks!

I personally would stack the wood in a way that allows good air movement, but focus mostly on maintaining room for other uses of the yard, not worry too much about prevailing winds. Wind direction will vary, and even if there was one predomionant wind direction I don't know if I'd want to stack parallel, perpendicular, or and some angle to the wind direction. As long as the wind can hit the stack you'll be fine.

You are right s those are generally the prevailing winds in the entire northeast. What you have to consider is what the micro affects are, like small mountain ranges rivers or other. I live with with a large mountain/hill in my back yard. So I cannot get winds ripping right through it. I get good gusts out of the SE or out of the N, depending on which way the wind is actually coming from and how it rips around the mountain. It gets interesting sometimes when I am blowing leaves in the fall or when I am blowing snow. I think I get a bit more blowing out of some of the gusts as they funnel around the mtn...

Sounds like space is at a premium. I would stack as it fits best in the yard with three things in mind - so it minimizes impact to other uses of the yard, where it looks best (like a border fence) and ease of access when it comes time to burn.

Winds where humping her Sunday! Eyes are still full of mulberry dust. Solid 20mph and gust over 30.

Definitely don't let the wood tell you what to do. If you have only a yard, stack where it is best located for the wood and for you with you being the primary concern.

I dont worry too much about the wind. I have a small property, less than half an acre and I have been stacking as space permits. I recently started stacking under the deck in back of house. Wind is not great under there, its about 4 feel tall but Its all the room i have.

KatWill said:
I dont worry too much about the wind. I have a small property, less than half an acre and I have been stacking as space permits. I recently started stacking under the deck in back of house. Wind is not great under there, its about 4 feel tall but Its all the room i have.

I built this under my deck out of pallets and scraps.... my cheapo wood shed

Attachments

• DSC05786w.jpg
    DSC05786w.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 210
Status
Not open for further replies.