price of fire wood/ coal/ pellets.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alfio

Mar 31, 2007
:coolgrin: so much for sticking to the oil gay's , as soon as the price of oil goes up, every thing goes up, no buddy is willing to help , price of wood up the price coal up , the price of pellets up , were is it going stop . I just priced a cord of wood in my aria $265 a cord , coal $266 + delivery , pellets have cum down $10 to $210 +$75 delivery . I ham disgusted with people taking advantage of the situation with the oil.

Sticking it to the oil guy is tough unless you cut your own wood. Folks like to think that the Pellet or the Wood vendor really cares about getting you or I fuel at the best possible price, but the truth is usually that the solid fuel market is MORE up and down than the oil or gas one....due to the lack of competition and the inability to transport large amounts over distance.

All in all, the best fuel is conservation - meaning that you can stick it to ALL the fuel vendors. Then demand goes down, and the price with it.

$265 per cord!!!!! Wow. Wish I could sell some at that price. Around here guys are having problems selling at $150.

As for the prices going up when fuel prices go up, you have to realize that the woodcutter's costs goes up along with fuel prices. Best to cut your own.

Backwoods Savage said:
$265 per cord!!!!! Wow. Wish I could sell some at that price. Around here guys are having problems selling at $150.

As for the prices going up when fuel prices go up, you have to realize that the woodcutter's costs goes up along with fuel prices. Best to cut your own.

that's to bad, that i do not live there you get my business for sure . OUT here in N.H. thats the asking price for debarked fire wood , i seen one ad for unseasoned hard wood for 160 a cord . But the problem is, i cant burn wood with bark on it, i have allergies so i ham stuck with ether coal or pellets.

Well, that explains the higher cost if they have to debark it. Takes a machine to do it for sure. I wouldn't want to do it by hand.

Backwoods Savage said:
Well, that explains the higher cost if they have to debark it. Takes a machine to do it for sure. I wouldn't want to do it by hand.

yes that is more work, but these guys sell the bark has mulch so it's to there benefit to take the bark off.

Doesn't seem worth the effort or the price....stick with either oil or propane....whatever you are using. I don't understand how the bark affects your allergies but the wood doesn't....

Wait...got an idea.....buy the wood now, if you wait a couple of years the bark will fall off! (Hence called "seasoned" wood) ;-)

Like it or not, the price of fuel (oil) drives the price of almost every other product. At some point in the manufacturing and/or distribution process, fuel plays a big part in the cost of any product.

The firewood guy and the coal guy aren't just jacking up their prices because fuel (oil) went up. They are doing it because that drove their cost up. I don't like it any more than anyone else, but when you step back, you can see why the cost goes up. If ethanol is mandated as an additive in all gasoline, worse yet as an alternative fuel source, it will have a dramatic impact on driving the cost of most goods through the roof.

MrGriz said:
If ethanol is mandated as an additive in all gasoline, worse yet as an alternative fuel source, it will have a dramatic impact on driving the cost of most goods through the roof.

Being an ex-NH person myself....NH is the state of Live Free or Die there is no ethanol in the gasoline or any additive's in fuel. But ironically, their gasoline prices are the same as MA which does put ethaniol in the gasoline....go figure!

Mrs-GVA said:
MrGriz said:
If ethanol is mandated as an additive in all gasoline, worse yet as an alternative fuel source, it will have a dramatic impact on driving the cost of most goods through the roof.

Being an ex-NH person myself....NH is the state of Live Free or Die there is no ethanol in the gasoline or any additive's in fuel. But ironically, their gasoline prices are the same as MA which does put ethaniol in the gasoline....go figure!
I am a NH guy and yes we do have ethanol in our gas here, just like everyone else. The biggest source of ethanol in the US is corn, which is also used in virtually everything else from processed food ( corn syrup) to beef, chicken, pork, fish, (as feed) to fiber in clothing, many manufactured products, etc, in other words, virtually everything. The real beginning of the corn farming industry was the end of World War II when the munitions plants that produced anhydrous ammonia from petroleum for bombs, suddenly needed another market. Anhydrous ammonia is a wonderful nitrogen fertilizer source, and corn, one of the most fertilizer intensive crops you can grow, was the perfect market outlet. Ironic isn't it, that one of the key ingredients for the crop of our chosen source of ethanol is petroleum! One of the great things about wood is the most petroleum dependance you can possible attribute to it is the fuel for cutting, splitting, and transporting, and if you keep it local, and split by hand, that petroleum use is hardly anything!

jpl1nh said:
Mrs-GVA said:
MrGriz said:

I am a NH guy and yes we do have ethanol in our gas here, just like everyone else. The biggest source of ethanol in the US is corn, which is also used in virtually everything else from processed food ( corn syrup) to beef, chicken, pork, fish, (as feed) to fiber in clothing, many manufactured products, etc, in other words, virtually everything. The real beginning of the corn farming industry was the end of World War II when the munitions plants that produced anhydrous ammonia from petroleum for bombs, suddenly needed another market. Anhydrous ammonia is a wonderful nitrogen fertilizer source, and corn, one of the most fertilizer intensive crops you can grow, was the perfect market outlet. Ironic isn't it, that one of the key ingredients for the crop of our chosen source of ethanol is petroleum! One of the great things about wood is the most petroleum dependance you can possible attribute to it is the fuel for cutting, splitting, and transporting, and if you keep it local, and split by hand, that petroleum use is hardly anything!

good input ;

Just FYI, Pellet Mills use mostly the same sawdust to fuel their dryers, so the price of other fuels should not make them jump as quickly - of course, trucking tends to increase quickly with fuel prices.

What about biobricks and other fuel logs? At those prices, this stuff might make good sense.

Mrs-GVA said:
Doesn't seem worth the effort or the price....stick with either oil or propane....whatever you are using. I don't understand how the bark affects your allergies but the wood doesn't....

Wait...got an idea.....buy the wood now, if you wait a couple of years the bark will fall off! (Hence called "seasoned" wood) ;-)

mold spores grow in the bark when the mold is gone the problem is gone .

Webmaster said:
Just FYI, Pellet Mills use mostly the same sawdust to fuel their dryers, so the price of other fuels should not make them jump as quickly - of course, trucking tends to increase quickly with fuel prices.

What about biobricks and other fuel logs? At those prices, this stuff might make good sense.

yes craig.

all those products work well , but like i stated in other treads , prices are ridicules , biobricks cost any where from $278 to $330 a ton pressed logs, $418+ all are cost prohibitive . thats my dilemma and to top it of last year i got coal for 228 a ton delivered, this year its 279.6 +25 delivery .Thats nuts .

Ohh maybe that's the problem then. I was thinking you were in PA for some reason, but those prices are WAY above PA prices so I ws concerned you were getting ripper off. We can pick up coal at the mines here for $125 a ton. Or delivered for about $180.

Corie said:
Ohh maybe that's the problem then. I was thinking you were in PA for some reason, but those prices are WAY above PA prices so I ws concerned you were getting ripper off. We can pick up coal at the mines here for $125 a ton. Or delivered for about $180.

yes that wold be grate , two years ago I paid $198 delivered in bags. they blame the price jump on the gas prices !

alfio said:
Backwoods Savage said:

that's to bad, that i do not live there you get my business for sure . OUT here in N.H. thats the asking price for debarked fire wood , i seen one ad for unseasoned hard wood for 160 a cord . But the problem is, i cant burn wood with bark on it, i have allergies so i ham stuck with ether coal or pellets.

Your solution is waiting for you - go to BioPellet.net

BioPellet said:
alfio said:
Backwoods Savage said:

yes bio pellets are good products , but to pricey 278 to 300+ + delivery.

alfio said:
BioPellet said:
alfio said:
Backwoods Savage said:

CT dealers sell them now for $210

BioPellet said:
alfio said:
BioPellet said:
alfio said:
Backwoods Savage said:

thanks for info, but I'm in N.H. it's a long drive !

alfio said:
BioPellet said:
alfio said:
BioPellet said:
alfio said:
Backwoods Savage" date="1176758076 said:

I am working on getting new dealers in NH. watch my website over the coming weeks
thanks for info, but I'm in N.H. it's a long drive !

Webmaster said:

but the mills use HUGE amounts of electricity...ask Steve at New England what his electric bill is sometime!

Status
Not open for further replies.