price quote for purchase and installation of Napoleon 1100?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cfarrish

Jun 11, 2014
los angeles
Dear members of the group,

New member (stove novice) and first-time poster.
I have a cabin in Canada that needs a new wood stove. The camp is about 600 sq ft, with high ceilings, and gets summer use mostly. Anyway, I was given a quote for purchase and installation of a Napoleon 1100, leg model w/ no blower kit, plus installation w/ FB chimney, 48x48 hearth pad, and a WETT report for insurance. The total price was close to $4000. Does that seem high? I am a total novice here and have no idea how much this should cost, but it looked like the Napoleon 1100 cost around a grand. Anyway, I'm a long way from the cabin and at the behest of local experts (and now you all).
Any help or advice would be appreciated.

It may seem a bit high but the important info is in the details. Did the quote get broken down into components like the stove, materials and labor? For example, the stove typically sells for more like $1450 and the door is an extra $250 or so. A good hearth pad can run upwards of $450, so we are already close to $2100 here. Then add the chimney @1000? (unknown height), labor at $800 and the price starts making sense.

That said, you don't need any more than a simple ember protection only hearth pad. To save some bucks, this could easily be a DIY project by making it out of sheet metal or bricks held captive by border framing and sand grouted. Or buy a simple stoveboard.
http://www.northlineexpress.com/40-x-48-ul-1618-black-stoveboard-t2ul4048bl-1c.html

Maybe consider getting a less expensive stove like a medium sized Englander, Century or a Drolet. They come complete for under $1000. But check the hearth protection requirements for these stoves. Often they have higher clearances and much stiffer hearth requirements. The Drolet Escape 1800 (or Classic) has reasonable clearances when installed with double-wall stove pipe and it only requires an ember protection hearth. Also look at the Pacific Energy True North TN19.

Last edited:
What is the purpose of the woodstove when you are mostly up there in the summer? Heat for the occasional cold night? Ambiance? Cooking? Depending on your goal(s) there may be other choices out there that may be cheaper and/or make you happier.

It may seem a bit high but the important info is in the details. Did the quote get broken down into components like the stove, materials and labor? For example, the stove typically sells for more like $1450 and the door is an extra $250 or so. A good hearth pad can run upwards of $450, so we are already close to $2100 here. Then add the chimney @1000? (unknown height), labor at $800 and the price starts making sense.

That said, you don't need any more than a simple ember protection only hearth pad. To save some bucks, this could easily be a DIY project by making it out of sheet metal or bricks held captive by border framing and sand grouted. Or buy a simple stoveboard.
http://www.northlineexpress.com/40-x-48-ul-1618-black-stoveboard-t2ul4048bl-1c.html

And consider getting a less expensive stove like a medium sized Englander, Century or a Drolet. They come complete for under $1000. But check the hearth protection requirements for these stoves. Often they have higher clearances and much stiffer hearth requirements. The Drolet Escape 1800 (or Classic) has reasonable clearances when installed with double-wall stove pipe and it only requires an ember protection hearth. Also look at the Pacific Energy True North TN19.

Thanks a lot! This does make sense, and I suspected such a breakdown--though I was not given one. The chimney is going to be quite high; the current one ascends to the ceiling's ridgeboard, ~20 ft. And I understand, and am happy to pay for, a fair rate of labor. I'm sure there are a lot of places to save money, but I live nearly 3,000 miles away and when I'm up there I want to enjoy the place, not work! So I'm paying for convenience too. Thank you so much for your helpful and generous answer. I'll ask about those other makes.

What is the purpose of the woodstove when you are mostly up there in the summer? Heat for the occasional cold night? Ambiance? Cooking? Depending on your goal(s) there may be other choices out there that may be cheaper and/or make you happier.
It does get cold some nights, and it is nice for early mornings. Ideally, I'll be able to spend more time there later into the year; autumn is beautiful! So I'm looking for something that will stay useful into the fall. The one we have now is from the 1930s, rusted chimney, broken mica glass, etc. It cranks the heat but the insurance company wasn't so fond of it.

Sounds like you need a turnkey solution. If so, going with the Napoleon is not a bad plan, but ask if they sell Pacific Energy stoves. The TN19 is a good value heater and under $1000 complete. The other models I mentioned are typically sold online and not on dealer's floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.