Pricing liners and installations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

A lot of post here ask is this a fair price to install my stove with a full liner?

It would be nice to poll all quotes to draw some conclusions

To set some guidelines lets assume a using a 25' liner kit

So It would be nice to breakdown labor to install and setup the stove Labor cost to install the liner kit and block off plate

Separately the materials cost comparing liner kits and block off plates

After polling the date, and goose this is up your line, we can make comparisons or predict price ranges only as a guide line rule of thumb

I realize steeper pitched roofs present other difficulty factors but still it would be nice to establish a base line

From this example we could extend it to class A installations. Maybe breaking it down to labor cost xx per ft

Again It would take a good sampling and participation to draw conclusions. In the end we may discover there are too many

variables to generalize installation cost

Dealers is the an equivalent to what builders have, in the form of a RR Means book helping determine cost ?

I installed my liner myself, so I can't give you the labor price. However, my liner was $349.00 if purchased with my stove. This was in July. The same guy is selling it for $499.00 with a stove purchase now. It's a Magnaflex liner, ovalized on the bottom portion, with a oval to round adapter. It also came with a top plate and chimney cap. The quality appears to be quite good. The liner is 25 feet long. I have about 9 feet of it left. I'm not sure how much it is worth or how much shipping would be, but I wouldn't mind unloading if somebody needs the flex to get through a damper and then continue it with rigid.

I don't have the time to do a survey on the past posts, but it seems to me like there would be an excessive number of variables. I've noticed the prices seem to go all over the place, and seem to include things like

- dealer / net
- Just the liner, or part of a package w/ stove?
- quality of product - 304 vs. 316 vs. 316Ti, wall thickness, seam construction, etc.
- labor - including how do you break out the cost of liner install vs. stove install if both done on same job? Many jobs were price for an "installed liner" - how do you break out materials vs. labor?
- Insulation? If so, what sort?
- Block off plate part of the deal?
- other extras? (caps, adapters, "T"'s etc)
- chimney-roof configuration?

I'm sure that if you had a HUGE sample base these could all be accounted for, but I don't think we have anything close to the sample size needed.

IMHO we need to stick with the current method of suggesting places and comparing prices.

Gooserider

I'm glad to hear everything worked well... You probably bought the Liner from Justin's Fireplace... we have been nurturing that relationship and i'm very happy to say that we have been doing very well with justin. If you have any questions please feel free to ask me.. I would be happy to help you out...
karl said:
I installed my liner myself, so I can't give you the labor price. However, my liner was $349.00 if purchased with my stove. This was in July. The same guy is selling it for $499.00 with a stove purchase now. It's a Magnaflex liner, ovalized on the bottom portion, with a oval to round adapter. It also came with a top plate and chimney cap. The quality appears to be quite good. The liner is 25 feet long. I have about 9 feet of it left. I'm not sure how much it is worth or how much shipping would be, but I wouldn't mind unloading if somebody needs the flex to get through a damper and then continue it with rigid.

Status
Not open for further replies.