Princess 29 insert sq ft. question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nimar

Sep 10, 2023
Northeast
I'm considering a Princess 29 for my home. Due to the size of my fireplace, it's the only sizeable insert I can fit without going to the smallest Regency models with a 1.3 cu ft firebox (the other option I was considering). My house is 2 stories, built in the 50's, 1300 sq ft, and the room it would be in is about 180 sq ft. Would the princess be a good fit or would it bake me out of my house?

180 sq ft is a small space for any wood stove. Is the room closed off from the rest of the house by a small doorway or open to it?

There's an opening to a hall leading to the rest of the downstairs and a stairway to the upper floor in that room. There was a large old unit there before that never heated us out, but it only lasted 3 hours on a load...that's why we're in the market.

As long as the heat has a good convective path out of the room it should work. The Princess is probably a good choice in that case.