Princess Ultra combustor shield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
took off the old door gasket. found 2 of the nuts holding the glass to be loose enough for me to be able to tighten them with my fingers. Tightened all of them for good measure. Only 2 of them seemed tight enough on their own. Replaced the door gasket.

tried to rejuvenate my worst combustor with the vinegar trick. put a new gasket on that one and put it back in the Blaze King. looking forward to our next burn. Our average day of first snow is Oct 15!

Reactions: Highbeam and BKVP
it's shoulder season here now, with nighttime lows in the 40's. Over all was very happy with my Blaze King, with one exception. We had just a small fire; firebox wasn't even half full. Here's what we saw 1) the fire and stove behaved as expected when lighting the fire 2) even when I cranked the 'thermostat' down to about 2:30 the thermometer stayed in the middle of the 'active' zone for a few hours 3) the stove continued to give off heat for ~8 hours. however the stove never got to the right hand side of the thermometer; never bottomed out. and I never saw those wavey flames that seem to indicate burning of gasses. maybe this is because the box was less than half full or maybe my refurbished combustor is well and truly dead. will switch out this combustor for another the next time we have a fire to see if the stove behaves differently. I appreciate everyone's help

Any reports you've seen of "wavy flames" on a low burn must come from reading about non-cat stoves, or comments about what happens in just the few minutes after turning down from high burn to low burn on a cat stove. Cat stoves turn down so low that all you're going to see is a black box on low settings. If you want to see wavy flames, keep the thermostat turned up a bit!

Remember, "low" on a non-cat is somewhere around medium on a cat stove. They can both burn with flame, and will both show flames at roughly the same temperature/burn rate, but non-cats can also stretch lower into black box territory. Sounds like that's where you were running.

Any reports you've seen of "wavy flames" on a low burn must come from reading about non-cat stoves, or comments about what happens in just the few minutes after turning down from high burn to low burn on a cat stove. Cat stoves turn down so low that all you're going to see is a black box on low settings. If you want to see wavy flames, keep the thermostat turned up a bit!

Remember, "low" on a non-cat is somewhere around medium on a cat stove. They can both burn with flame, and will both show flames at roughly the same temperature/burn rate, but non-cats can also stretch lower into black box territory. Sounds like that's where you were running.

It would be cool if all wood stoves had integrated scales. That is how we base burn rates, by the amount of fuel consumed in time increments. Most often it is kg/h. A kilogram = 2.2lbs. Hmmm, I wonder if......

BKVP

Reactions: Ashful
It would be cool if all wood stoves had integrated scales. That is how we base burn rates, by the amount of fuel consumed in time increments. Most often it is kg/h. A kilogram = 2.2lbs. Hmmm, I wonder if......

BKVP
Agreed. It would be nice if stove mfgs. included more of the EPA data in their documentation. One can get this information from reading the EPA reports.

Agreed. It would be nice if stove mfgs. included more of the EPA data in their documentation. One can get this information from reading the EPA reports.
Most folks don't want to read 300 page reports! (OWH reports are up to 600 pages)

Most folks don't want to read 300 page reports! (OWH reports are up to 600 pages)
Exactly. A lot of the reports are filled with details about the testing setup. Some include the full stove manual. That's why distilling a few relevant facts from the report in the stove manual would be helpful. Things like actual measured firebox volume, low burn rate, and high burn rate, would be helpful to the buyer.

So the manuals are Federally Regulated documents as of 2015. But you make a good point about some top line data.

I'll address it with EPA's OAQPS staff to get their thoughts.

BKVP

On that second to last sentence, didn't you mean to say that CAT stoves can also stretch lower into black box territory?

On that second to last sentence, didn't you mean to say that CAT stoves can also stretch lower into black box territory?
Geez, yeah! What the hell happened there?!?

Maybe one of the mod's can fix that? I really don't know how it came out that way.

Geez, yeah! What the hell happened there?!?

Maybe one of the mod's can fix that? I really don't know how it came out that way.
Not bustin your chops, just want to keep the new guys from getting confused.

hehe... for all we know, begreen switched what I said, just to screw with us. ;lol

Reactions: Highbeam