pro install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

philaphire

Hearth Supporter
Sep 24, 2006
Blue Bell, PA
I think I've narrowed down my stove choice to either the Avalon Rainer, Lopi Revere, or Quad 3100i. So now I consider installation. If I go with the stove shop, I'll get a sub-contractor and probably a cheap liner costing around $1200 for parts & install. If I go with the chimney sweep, I'll get an insulated HomeSaver liner and it will cost around $1800 for parts & install. This is going into a clay lined interior chimney 8 x13. What installation would you choose?

THANKS!

ps feel free to comment on Avalon v Lopi v Quad while you're at it

Get references for both. I've seen good and bad of each. I'm guessing the shop install is uninsulated. Is that correct? Best to get full specs on what the shop is quoting you for, even if sub-contracted.

I had a 2100i which they don't make any more. It loaded from front to back so you would never even have to think about the logs rolling out. My new shallower 2700i is side to side unless I cut the logs pretty short. Will your warranty be intact if you go the non-dealer route?

shop will be uninsulated - I think, or at least the sweep tells me so...didn't think about the warranty...

you are asking w a question and looking for advice like which should I buy the chevy or ford pk truck
You have completely missed the point you should kno exactly for what you are paying for Brand liner thickness ul listings block off plate included
insulation required to meet the UL listing

your question is to insulate or not? Without knowing the details components for fair comparison the grade steel composition could be different in the liners. We will look up the manufacture's spect and advise as to which is the better deal possibly suggest alternative you made no mention of lenght and differculty of chimney height Are they cutting the old damper out or are they using oval to round pass threw the damper area?

So much more you should know and for us to help advise

Down load the Homesaver liner installation instructions. Read them. See what shape your present chimney is in, get it inspected.

CLEARANCES
Airspace clearances between the chimney exterior and combustible materials
should be checked to verify whether the chimney is in accordance
with the clearance specifications contained in:
1. NFPA 211
2. Other recognized major building codes
3. These instructions
4. Factory-built chimney manufacturer’s instructions
NFPA 211 states that the minimum airspace clearance between exterior
masonry chimneys (which have the chimney completely outside the exterior
wall of the building, excluding the soffit or cornice area) and combustible
material shall be at least 1".
NFPA 211 states that the minimum airspace clearance between interior
masonry chimneys (which have any portion of the chimney located within
the exterior wall of the building) and combustible materials shall be at
least 2". The airspace shall not be filled.

Re read the Home saver installation instructions.

3. INSULATING THE LINER
Insulation is required when venting solid fuel appliances but is optional for wood pellet
appliances, oil appliances, and Category I LP or natural gas-burning appliances.

Them call who ever you choose for what you really need a tested and
listed to the UL 1777 Standard liner which requires insulation for wood and coal
appliances for your liner installation.

thanks - I'll get the specs/details and let you know...

Status
Not open for further replies.