Problem with automatic igniter rod - Lopi Leyden

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike D

Feeling the Heat
Nov 7, 2008
North Haven, CT
I need some technical advice:

The automatic igniter rod in my Lopi Leyden (2008) died in the middle of last winter. Thanks to the forums here I was able to learn how to use the propane torch method to start the fire. I ordered a replacement igniter rod towards the end of last winter but didn't replace it until now as I didn't want to power down the stove for that long during the winter months and I got busy over the summer.

When I replaced it, I plugged in the two existing wires that come from the control panel and tried to light the fire, but the rod didn't get hot. So I switched the wire connection and it still doesn't work. Any suggestions on troubleshooting something I may be missing? Everything else is working on the stove (blower, exhaust fan etc.). Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks!

Mike

did you get an igniter from a dealer or is it an aftermarket replacement? i changed mine with one from my dealer and it went slick besides having to learn to stand on my head.

The only place I found online who had it in stock was a place in Maine who deals in Lopi's and other wood/pellet stoves. You are right about standing on your head - I installed by laying over the top of the stove. It seemed to slide right into through to the fire box where the old one was.

Does your rod actually poke through into the fire box where a small hole is located?

it doesn't go into the the burn pot. it just sticks out of the metal tab pointing down by 1/8-1/4 inch or so.

Mike D said:
The only place I found online who had it in stock was a place in Maine who deals in Lopi's and other wood/pellet stoves. You are right about standing on your head - I installed by laying over the top of the stove. It seemed to slide right into through to the fire box where the old one was.

Does your rod actually poke through into the fire box where a small hole is located?

Can you supply web address of where you got it? I'm wondering how much these things are.

I'll have to look when I get home, but I paid $75 + s/h ($25?).

Local dealer wants $119... but I found another dealer who wants $46.

Mike D said:
I'll have to look when I get home, but I paid $75 + s/h ($25?).

Local dealer wants $119... but I found another dealer who wants $46.

Thanks

Mike D said:
The automatic igniter rod in my Lopi Leyden (2008) died in the middle of last winter........When I replaced it, I plugged in the two existing wires that come from the control panel and tried to light the fire, but the rod didn't get hot.

Mike, first thing is to check & see if the ignitor actually went bad. Get an old lamp cord, strip the ends, and connect to ignitor leads & insulate w/ electrical tape. Put ignitor on non-combustible surface, plug the cord into wall socket....see if the old one gets hot.

The problem may not be the ignitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.