1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
  1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Today is the first time I've had this problem. When going through some threads, sometimes I give "likes" to more than one post. However, now there is a minute wait between for some odd reason. Guess this will cut down on the use of the like button.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webfish

webfish Hearth.com LLC Staff Member

Loc:
    Minnesota
    This is new functionality within the Xenforo forum software. Many of the logs and recent activity tabs may become congested with " like " transactions. Because Hearth.com has years and years of of information it is one way to allow that information to be available without a large server change.

Thanks, Webfish
  3. Bobbin

Bobbin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So. Me.
    I noticed that, too. It bummed me out, but I understand now that it's been explained. Still, it's a drag and it makes it harder and more time consuming to cruise the forums if you're (sorta) "regular".
  4. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    It appears to have been fixed now.
  5. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    I don't understand this.....

We and the rest of the world had great forums for 15+ years before Facebook started the idea of "likes".....and, even when it started there, it was for totally casual use, not to actually sort out which is the best info. I've always likened hearth.com to being closer to Wikipedia than to Facebook.

We actually had a situation last year when "likes" as well as useless banter was taking up 20% of the server space/speed in terms of actual activity. It was like there was a contest going on.

I like about 5 posts per week.....probably an average of less than 1 per week since this forum software included them. Not to say everyone should be as stingy as I am, but there is a point where we generate needless alerts, etc.

Anyway, I'm not the boss.....just IMHO above. Even our first forum had "throttling" enabled which stopped folks from posting too quickly. This is somewhat similar.
  6. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    You have your reason for likes and others have theirs. In my case, when the Like button came on, I immediately thought it was great because it would be better to give a Like than to make a post and all that is in the post is, "+1."
    HDRock likes this.
  7. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    +100

However, the key is that we have never - in the 18+ years running the place - had even one such post (average) per day...

So, yes, it's a great way to really agree with something really good....and that still exists.

I think The Boss is planning to upgrade the server (new one!) in the next month or two...we are maxed out now...and also upgrade the forum software. This may allow for changing the setup. There may be options for making it so likes don't show up in the recent activity, etc. as well as settings to allow for more of them in certain forums than others.
  8. webfish

webfish Hearth.com LLC Staff Member

Loc:
    Minnesota
    How about some "likes " or +1 's in moderation. The system is working, I was just adjusting yesterday , seems with the 1 minute delay it works best. I would go down to 30 seconds but it doesn't allow that. Logically, why would you be "liking" posts faster than that? I think I will leave it at those settings and watch the logs to see if it stems the amount.
  9. Soundchasm

Soundchasm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Dayton, OH
    I know I'm not even a non-voting member of the corporation, but I viewed the like button as a way to give "attaboy's" when folks had made an accomplishment or gone to great lengths in an answer. It was also a way of saying thanks for new info, an insight, etc, without making a post when I really didn't have any info to add to the discussion.

Had not the slightest idea that it could consume such system resources.
  10. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    My 2 cents , don't care for the 1 min wait.
    I won't try to explain my logic of how ,I go through reading , posting etc.
    Dune likes this.
  11. Hills Hoard

Hills Hoard Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Melbourne, Australia
    experienced this for the first time today. havent been on here for a while and it bummed me out i couldnt "like" all the hilarious posts as i read through the forums!...i dont have much time to spend on here but when i do i love to express my "likes" quick smart and move on to read as much as i can in the time i have..
    HDRock likes this.
  12. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    On top of the wait, there is a limit to :mad:
    It is what it is but, I don't care for it at all