Problem with my Blaze King Princess

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

project240

Hearth Supporter
Nov 30, 2010
Alberta
We have had our BK Princess installed and running great for about 5 months now. Over the past couple of days though, I've noticed a problem that I have no idea what could be the source of. Basically, the fire will not stay firing. Upon reloading, everything seems as it should while I have the bypass open, but even after getting a good fire going, as soon as I close the bypass (with thermostat at 3) the fires slowly dies and within 15 minutes and I can't see anything inside the firebox.

Bit more background information. We usually run the stove with the thermostat set at 2. We have been burning 24/7 for several months now. Our wood supply is dry and hasn't changed at all, nor will it the rest of the winter. I was just up on the roof and removed the cap, chimney looks pretty clean. I also removed the cover at the back since my first thought was that the thermostat wasn't opening properly, but after checking that, everything seems to be in working order.

Anyways, I'm stumped about what else it could be. Any have other ideas about what I could check?

Have you checked your catalyst to see if it is clogged with fly ash?

When you say you don't see anything, what do you mean? Is the stove still hot? Does the cat stay in the active zone on the thermometer? My BK has no active flames inside most of the time, but it's doing like it should, burning the smoke in the cat. Unless I run on 3-4, I rarely see flames.

geoxman said:

I'd check it. If you have good draft and dry wood, there ain't much else.

geoxman said:

I had taken a look and didn't see much. Now that the fire has slowly died down overnight I removed the cover and vacuumed everything. Seems noticeably better already even though there wasn't much to clean. I'll see how it goes at next reload tonight.

That's pretty much exactly what happened to me. I cleaned my catalyst and the stove is burning like new again. The trick will be to figure out what clogged it up in the first place so it doesn't happen again.

My money is also on the cat being dirty. Since you've already vacuumed it off burn the next load hot for a while and see what happens.

When mine plugged, I vacuumed it but still didn't get all of the holes opened up.
Had to vacuum from the back side to get it totally clean.
Clogged Cat or wet wood was my 2 choices, glad yo found the problem. :)

you guys ever get your cat so hot the metal all around it was glowing ? i did tonight, it was pretty!

greythorn3 said:
you guys ever get your cat so hot the metal all around it was glowing ? i did tonight, it was pretty!
No, Sir, I don't think I'd like that at all...

greythorn3 said:
All the time, it's pretty cool! All the cat stoves I have ran will do this once they are running good.

webby3650 said:
greythorn3 said:
All the time, it's pretty cool! All the cat stoves I have ran will do this once they are running good.

HECK i dont think i ever seen metal so pretty!

Status
Not open for further replies.