Problem with older Heat-N-Glow insert remote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitman

Feb 26, 2015
Eureka, CA
I have an older Heat-N-Glow gas fireplace insert that is having remote control issues. The insert is a Bay-Ins and the remote is the RCT-MLT.

All has worked fine until trying to use the insert for the first time in a few months. The remote's display lights up and batteries are fresh but it will not control the insert. If I push the on-off button on the receiver the flame ignites (it is a standing pilot system). If I hold the remote really close to the receiver the light on the receiver comes on and the flame lights. But the remote's other functions do not work. It will not turn the flame off, adjust the flame or turn on the fan. The remote is radio frequency and not infrared. The receiver is 110 AC and not battery.

I had some intermittent problems earlier that resolved when wiggling the wires from the receiver to the gas control valve but I removed and snugged up the contacts and that isn't a problem now.

Any ideas?

How do I find a replacement if it is the remote or receiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.