Problems resulting from changing brand of pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Connecticut Yankee

Burning Hunk
Nov 20, 2018
Connecticut
The past two years, we have been fortunate that the pellets we bought burned well and gave a decent amount of heat. This years batch produces a lot more ash and doesn't seem to burn as hot.

The real problem, however, is that we are getting a yellow-brown buildup on the glass, which is very difficult to remove, even with a damp paper towel dipped in ash. The Stove Bright glass cleaner we have will do the trick, if I use lots and lots. This cleaner is mostly isopropanol, according to the poison-control label, but there must be something else in it as well, because pure rubbing alcohol does very little to dissolve this buildup. We never got this, the past two years, and whatever the stuff is, it is the same yellow-brown color as you see on the fingers of nicotine addicts.

The other problem is a crusty buildup on the heat exchanger tubes. This stove is made by Enviro (Hudson River Chatham model) and has a burn chamber that looks similar to those of other Enviro models posted in this forum. The problem is that even within a couple of days from the previous cleaning, the tube scraper can't cope with the crust, and it takes a lot of persistence—and a vise grip—to get the scraper to take enough off to pull out all the way. I have tried scrubbing with one of those plastic pot scrubbers, without much success. Should I be using steel wool or a Charboy instead? I can eventually get the scraper to come all the way along the length of the tubes, but it takes a great deal of time and effort. I thought of trying to pull the scraper while the stove is still hot (thinking that the crust will be softer), but I remember reading on this forum that doing that is a no-no, because it will deform the tubes. Any thoughts? Removing enough of the parts to pull the heat exchanger out to work on more easily would be very time consuming and not something I'd like to do, except annually.

Sounds like your new pellets need more combustion air to burn properly
How does the flame look?
Also when was the last time the stove was disassembled and cleaned burn
pot to chimney termination?

Reactions: Ssyko
I don't think using the heat exchanger scraper while hot will hurt anything, mind you I would only do this on low or medium not max heat, the only reason Enviro and SBI(Drolet, Flame) suggest not using the scraper is you will burn yourself in the process, and in the same statement say to use the scraper as much as possible for optimal efficiency and never leave scraper out. So what I did about 5 years ago on my old 2007 Flame and then on my 2004 Enviro is add these to the scraper handle, you can get all different kinds of ID's, shapes and lengths, I still need to be quick using it on medium but I don't need a glove and it doesn't hurt the heat exchangers and puts out more heat, and takes about a second to do. Now perhaps some stoves have different heat exchangers?, but I can't see how this would hurt them, and if it does it is not well made, the tubes will expand and contract as would the scraper, that is the only deformation that will always occur. You can see the one I added to the Flame in my profile pic, I actually added a slightly longer one to make it more comfortable to grab on medium, I scrape it 2 times a day usually.

Last edited:
Sounds like your new pellets need more combustion air to burn properly
How does the flame look?
Also when was the last time the stove was disassembled and cleaned burn
pot to chimney termination?
The intake vent is open all the way, and I last blew out the chimney in September with a leaf blower. I regularly vacuum out the clean-outs. I took the stove apart in early January and vacuumed out all the spaces in the back. It's part of the every-ton maintenance, but I do it more frequently. It looks as though I'm going to have to figure out how to remove the heat exchanger in order to get those tubes really clean, and that's going to be difficult and time-consuming.

Pellet / biomass stoves are all like a carbureted car. The a/f ratio has to be correct or the combustion gets wonky.

I don't think using the heat exchanger scraper while hot will hurt anything, mind you I would only do this on low or medium not max heat, the only reason Enviro and SBI(Drolet, Flame) suggest not using the scraper is you will burn yourself in the process, and in the same statement say to use the scraper as much as possible for optimal efficiency and never leave scraper out. So what I did about 5 years ago on my old 2007 Flame and then on my 2004 Enviro is add these to the scraper handle, you can get all different kinds of ID's, shapes and lengths, I still need to be quick using it on medium but I don't need a glove and it doesn't hurt the heat exchangers and puts out more heat, and takes about a second to do. Now perhaps some stoves have different heat exchangers?, but I can't see how this would hurt them, and if it does it is not well made, the tubes will expand and contract as would the scraper, that is the only deformation that will always occur. You can see the one I added to the Flame in my profile pic, I actually added a slightly longer one to make it more comfortable to grab on medium, I scrape it 2 times a day usually.

That seems like a good idea. I'll see if I can find one small enough to allow the decorative front cast-iron door to be closed. I'm glad you don't think scraping the tubes while warm will damage them.

The heat exchanger tubes don't come out, scraping hot doesn't hurt them only you. You will have to take a wire brush to them as best you can, it should be part of your clean up process while scraping the entire inside of the stove aswell. I have a 2004 Enviro Windsor, Very very similar to yours and a Empress, on this design you can reach the exchanger scraper without opening the decorative door, to bad they changed that... If you start off with a good clean exchanger and use the scraper rod at least once a day your "problem" will go away.

Reactions: Ssyko