Problems with Cascade model

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrillerDave

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Hi guys I bought a house and it has a Whitfield Cascade pellet stove. It was working great but now.....I will light it and it will burn good for about 30min-45min then once the fire seems to be good and hot, the blower will shut off. I then turn it off so it stops feeding the fire. And about 15min later when it gets cool it starts up again and does its cool down cycle. This is my first pellet stove so im compeletly lost. I thought motor at first, but if it was the motor it would just not work at all and not a intermittant and seemingly heat realted issue.

It's the motor. It has a shared motor for both convection and combustion. With the ash load on one side the shaft gets unbalanced and causes the bearing to wear out. The shaft heats up, swells and freezes, cools, frees up, and goes again. Replace the whole blower assembly. Great little stove, you've found its only real weakness.

I think it may be the motor as well. I had thought it might by the lo limit switch. So i bypassed that to see if it will run. I got excited because it did for for about 2 hours no problems. I then swtiched it over to High Heat just before bed and came back by 15 minutes later and the fan was off and the fire was out. Looks like Ill be buying a rebuild kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.