Procrastination is Great...where do I order 7/8 stove gasket from?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burntime

Aug 18, 2006
C'mon hunting season!
I still have not ordered the gasket. Any idea where a reasonable place to order it is? I need 6ft to be safe. This is the rope style. Thanks in advance...

You should be able to just go to a hardware and get what you want without having to order it.

Nope, 5/8 is as thick as they go. My hampton has it in a channel so I need the full 7/8. I thought the same thing...

OK, that looks like it would work. Next question, there is black and white gasket...one is more dense. Mine is old but is very firm... Which do I have?

burntime said:
OK, that looks like it would work. Next question, there is black and white gasket...one is more dense. Mine is old but is very firm... Which do I have?

The firm stuff is "high density". Usually only comes in white. The black stuff has graphite in it to cut down on friction wear and manufacturers of stoves use it so the fresh paint on the stove doesn't stick to it in shipping and storage.

So which is better for use in the hampton? Better seal, longevity?

You can get the 7/8 gasket at an Avalon dealer instead of the interwebs...

burntime said:
So which is better for use in the hampton? Better seal, longevity?

Burntime, I wish I could give your more info. I'm using an old school, non-EPA compliant (oops, did I type that?!) stove from the early 80s, so I can't offer much to the high tech crowd. Came with the house 7 years ago, but I have figured out how to run it hot enough so as not to smoke out the neighborhood, which should keep Vanessa happy. :lol:

xrayman said:
I picked up some Rutland 5/8ths at Menards but don't recall seeing any 7/8ths there. The Rutland stuff is softer than the OEM stuff. The original rope lasted 10 years but the Rutland stuff certainly won't.

LLigetfa said:
xrayman said:
I picked up some Rutland 5/8ths at Menards but don't recall seeing any 7/8ths there. The Rutland stuff is softer than the OEM stuff. The original rope lasted 10 years but the Rutland stuff certainly won't.

The Rutland stuff is so soft you can't even use is on and Englander. The door won't seal tight. Have to have high density.

LLigetfa said:
xrayman said:

You have Menard's in Canada?

wendell said:
You have Menard's in Canada?
No, I live just minutes from the border.

I think mcguckins in boulder has some pre packaged and on sale. call 303-443-1822 and ask for richard or jerimiah in the fireplace department . its the white stuff. I wanna say 6.99 for a good size package if i remember correctly.

Last year I was accused of being the geography police but I'm not trying to be a d**k, just curious, how is NW Ontario near the US border? :)

Makes sense. Guess I figured you up on Hudson Bay. :cheese:

MountainStoveGuy said:
I think mcguckins in boulder has some pre packaged and on sale. call 303-443-1822 and ask for richard or jerimiah in the fireplace department . its the white stuff. I wanna say 6.99 for a good size package if i remember correctly.

Its the soft stuff...

I've got the same stove burntime, how did you know it was time to replace the gasket, and how long did it last you?

Burns faster at the end of the season and have adjusted the handle many times. 3.5 years I think it lasted...

Status
Not open for further replies.