Programmable Thermostats Compatible with Benjamin Oil/Wood Boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Susandifiore

Nov 1, 2015
Baddeck Nova Scotia
How do I determine what type of wiring is connected to our thermostat? I have looked through our manual at the wiring diagram page, which mentions (on page 14) that the wiring is 24volt load. We have a standard honeywell thermostat now, would like to upgrade to a more modern one. Most of the ones I have looked at have 24 v wiring but some reference a "c" wire. I will of course consult a professional for this project, but would appreciate some background information on thermostat wiring so I can have an intelligent conversation on the subject.

We primarily use wood during the winter, we are looking to have a programmable thermostat to drop the temperature during the night so the oil burner does not cut on (if we sleep through a night "feeding")

Love the Benjamin wood/oil boiler, by the way...

Thank you

I'm no expert, but...
The "c" means common, which means a source of 24 volts to power the thermostat.
There should be a "c" terminal on your zone controller (the thing the thermostat is connected to).
If the thermostat is connected directly to the boiler, and there is no "c" terminal on the boiler, then you have to get a kit that provides 24 power. I think that involves a transformer, but it might also be possible to rob power from the existing transformer. The thermostat's manual should have stuff on this.

I had one of those boilers, and ordinary Honeywell stats.

I just bought new programmable stats, and swapped them right in. Don't remember anything special or encountering any difficulties. Just put the wires on the new ones in the same places they were on the old ones. Have you taken the cover off the old ones or unfastened from the wall to see how they are wired? I suspect it's just a 'typical' 24v 2 wire hookup. That's what mine are. I don't have a zone controller. The wire from the stat was wired to my zone valves to open those.

I used to like mine, but it wasn't a lasting relationship.

Status
Not open for further replies.