PROGRESS HYBRID--How do I know . . . ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
fire_man said:
What was that explosion I just heard coming from the South West? Oh yea, it must have been time for Terry to reload the Progress!

Officially, I find that comment degrading, demeaning and insulting! Personally? I find it funny as heck and probably exactly what I would have said if YOU had done what I did! :lol: :lol:

Actually, I have to admit, the bypass control lever is kind of confusing. I always shine a flashlight onto the knob after I engage it to make sure it shows "closed" face up.
It was much easier on the FV to be sure the cat was engaged, you just checked to make sure the lever was "up".

It wasn't the lever that got me off on the wrong track. It was that cut-a-way diagram of the smoke path with the by-pass damper open and the smoke passing through the cat on its way out of the stove! Just took that for gospel and started 'splodin' th' stove! Was kinda fun, but the cleaning up got kinda old! Did you find any unfamiliar stove debris on your place from that last explosion? :coolsmile:

Terry, it reminds me of when I started emptying ashes when I was a young lad. I got ash dust all over the place and then had to dust the entire house. I learned very fast how to empty ashes without making a mess.

Backwoods Savage said:
Terry, it reminds me of when I started emptying ashes when I was a young lad. I got ash dust all over the place and then had to dust the entire house. I learned very fast how to empty ashes without making a mess.

With the FV, I had a 20 foot hose that I added to the 10 feet I already had. I would put the vac out on the patio and run the hose into the house, close the door as much as possible and cleaned out the stove. That way any ash that got past the vac filter was outside. Before that I was shoveling them out into a 10 gallon metal can with a lid, but ash would be everywhere! So, I can appreciate the having to clean the house--FUN, huh? :cheese:

Texas boy said:
With the FV, I had a 20 foot hose that I added to the 10 feet I already had. I would put the vac out on the patio and run the hose into the house, close the door as much as possible and cleaned out the stove. That way any ash that got past the vac filter was outside. Before that I was shoveling them out into a 10 gallon metal can with a lid, but ash would be everywhere! So, I can appreciate the having to clean the house--FUN, huh? :cheese:

Had the Shop Vac out on the deck one day with the long hose. Head is stuck in the old stove vac'ing away. Pull out of the stove and the whole den and kitchen is filled with a dark cloud of soot. A cold chunk of charcoal had nuked the filter in the vac and pulling on the hose had aimed the exhaust port direct into the deck door.

Weeks to clean up.

Status
Not open for further replies.