1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Progress Hybrid - Shielded Cooktop and screen - diff stove

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by HollowHill, Dec 7, 2012.

1. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Cracking at 300F doesn't sound like the stove was being pushed too hard or too fast. This sounds like a design flaw. Your son may be correct. If different materials are expanding at different rates and there is not enough room for this expansion, something has to give.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. 3fordasho

3fordasho Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    South Central Minnesota
    Update- my slight smoke smell came back so I searched for different door gaskets- tried to follow binko's suggestion for the 1/4" grey gasket with 1/2" on top of that but with what I found available locally just no way would all that fit (5/16" was the smallest available locally) I ended up using 1/2" meeco grey rope gasket with the thin gasket adhesive. 1 week since install and the smoke smell seems to be gone... or do I just not notice it anymore? Unlike the new woodstock supplied gasket, with the rutland gasket the door was easier to latch the first time, but so far it's sealing better. The old woodstock gasket had brown stains where the smoke was seaping through and also had become fairly stiff since its install last spring.

3. WarmInIowa

WarmInIowa Member

Loc:
    Central IA
    3Ford, that's good to hear; I may tried the same. Where did you get the rowland gasket? I may try Menards tomorrow and see what I can find. My smell is back again, same as yours and it is very frustrating!!
  4. WarmInIowa

WarmInIowa Member

Loc:
    Central IA
    It very hard to tell. I've been trying to pinpoint this for Woodstock for a long time. I can smell it at the top of the door and also above the door frame. Three is so much heat rising at the point and the scent goes up very fast with the heat.
  5. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    If you look on Ford 60's post, which I think is headed "Overfired!" he found a 1/8 spacer roll pin in each back corner of the stove, that can only be accessed with the entire top of the stove off, that is clearly leaking smoke. That location corresponds to the area where I alwys see flames dancing around first in my firebox, which is interesting. An extra air supply...a tiny one...He has caulked his. Hasn't posted about the smell since, but did claim to have found the source of the smoke smell. You might want to look at his post, if you have not seen it. He has good photographs.
  6. 3fordasho

3fordasho Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    South Central Minnesota
    Originally thought Rutland brand but it is actually Meeco- got it at menards in a package with the adhesive for $8.99. 1/2" round is what I used. They also have 5/16,3/8 and 5/8" in round and 5/8" flat. I can't say it's 100% gone but it does seem better. I no longer lay in bed after loading the stove for an overnight burn and cuss the smoke smell wafting up to our bedroom. Like others have mentioned it's much more likely to notice the smell if the stove is loaded, air cut back and no flame in the box. Chipsoflying's description of the smell location is dead on for mine as well.