1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Progress Hybrid Sticky Flue Arm

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Cross Cut Saw, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Cross Cut Saw

Cross Cut Saw Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    The City of Ships, Bath, Maine
    This morning I got my fire going, closed my bypass and tried to adjust the flue arm but found it to be very sticky. I wiggled it a little and it wouldn't go past half way. After a little back and forth and some gentle force (I've learned not to force anything I don't want to break) I was able to adjust it.

Anyone have this problem?

I think I saw something about this a while back, but when I searched I didn't find it in any titles and I admit, I'm too lazy to go sifting through all of the comments...

How come this stuff never happens on a Tuesday when you can call the mfg?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Slow1

Slow1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern MA
    I have noticed that mine is sometimes a bit more difficult than others - never had it stick like you are describing.

Good news for you though - they are there on Saturday, give them a call. I almost never get to call during the week due to work schedule so I know the weekend crew there is very helpful - but I do think you will have to wait until after 9a eastern :)
  3. Cross Cut Saw

Loc:
    That's awesome, I wouldn't have even thought about calling on the weekend! I'll call a little later, thanks for the heads up.
  4. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    CALL WOODSTOCK> They are open today.
    EDIT: Sorry...should have read beyond the first post...Let us know what they avised you to do, so we all know what to do if we ever run into the same problem...Thanks.
  5. greenbrierwv

greenbrierwv Member

Loc:
    Lewisburg, WV
    never have had that problem with mine. it makes a little creaking kinda noise when opening it from all the way closed, but no sticking.
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Please post what they have suggested.
  7. dznam

dznam Member

Loc:
    Coastal ME
    I had exactly the same issue. Turns out the rear heat shield was making contact with the air control arm and making it difficult to move (it would also "squeal" when it did move after I applied some elbow grease to it). Look for this contact and if it exists on your stove, it will just take a very slight repositioning of the shield to solve it.
  8. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    Thanks for posting.
  9. Cross Cut Saw

Loc:
    Sorry I'm just getting back to everyone on this but I didn't call Woodstock until this morning when I had another issue as well.

The solution was to slightly loosen, then immediately tighten again ONE of the set screws on the shaft collar of the square damper arm, this reset the tension on the arm.

Moving like a hot knife through butter now.

I had the stove off while we were away a couple of days for Thanksgiving and took the opportunity to clean out the cat and do a general all around clean up (no buildup and just a small amount of tannish reddish powder in the top). When I was cleaning the bottom of the cast iron cook top I found a hairline crack in it that went all the way through. They offered to replace it and I will probably take them up on it since my wife wants to put a pot of water on it to humidify the house, but I'll wait until the next time I need to shut it down to do so.

If you have one of these cook tops you might want to take a look at it the next time you have it opened up, he said I wasn't the first person to have a cook top crack...

-Joe