Progress hybrid with cat probe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chipsoflyin

Hearth Supporter
Dec 11, 2008
nw ohio
Finally got the PH up and running with a condor digital cat probe installed. Went through the hole in the rear of the stove up over the stainless baffle and down through the hole in the sheet metal, so far the cable has survived, we will see for how long. It is amazing how fast the temps come up from a cold start, 450 within five minutes, stove top temps at 150, however the cat stalls at this temp. It seems that 700 cat probe, 250 stove top ,300 pipe works the best. Once equalized the stove top temps seem to be half of the probe temps. The stove really performs as advertised, depending on the air setting, the stove bounces between cat and no cat operation. With active secondaries the cat takes a nose dive, temps will fall quickly from 1100 to 800. So with on over fire situation on the stove top simply open the air and move the fire back down to the firebox. The same in the opposite direction, snuff out the secondaries and the cat goes to pluto, which makes sense. Woodstock hit a home run with this one.

What are the signs of a cat stall when one doesn't have a probe? And, if the cat has stalled, what, if anything, should be done about it (ignore it, open bypass and get wood more involved, ???)?

It's pretty hard to tell, smoke out of the chimney, stove top temps won't rise, pipe temps will drop. This stove really needs a cat probe, with an inch and a half of soapstone the top is really slow to respond. If stall is suspected simply open the air and move the action back to the firebox, run the pipe temp up and try again. I've found that in my situation the stove cruises at 450-500 stove top, 300 pipe, and 850-900 cat, slight wisps of secondary action

So was this probe your idea or did Woodstock help with this? I was wondering if there was a place for a cat probe and was thinking a good spot might be next to the bypass handle or straight down through the top lid.

The PH has a hole with a bolt in it on the rear of the stove near the top on the side with loading door, I tried the probe only but that got no where near the cat, i tried researching the cable type but couldnt find any info on it,so a little science experiment with installing the probe at the cat and exposing the cable to the heat, so far it hasn't failed. If it does fail then the hole through the soapstone is next, having a cable hanging out the top isn't an option so the dial and probe will have to work and the digital probe will go in the pipe.

I was hoping Woodstock would of placed a hole in the front beside the bypass handle for easy reading. Why the heck would they put it in the back like the other stoves?

Cant win them all todd, just cant win them all...

i believe that the fireview has the hole in the same location. a dial with a long enough probe will get you to the cat but it will be off to the side where it seems alot cooler based on ir gun readings on the stove top. the best location would seem to be right through the top stone with 2 1/2 inch probe

Would it be posible to run a longer probe through the stone next to the bypass handle? I suppose if it's too thick it will effect the accuracy of the probe?

Doesn't look like you can go through the front stone, it would put you into the top of the firebox box just below the damper. Just inspected the cable inside and there was no evidence of wire insulation degradation. One thing I did do when I installed the cable was bend it so that it wouldn't rest on the stainless steel bAffle, the cable is fairly rigid and held that position. So far the digital cat probe is holding up, we shall see

Status
Not open for further replies.