Progress hybrid, WOW

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fespo

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 14, 2005
South West burbs of Chicago
I have been using my Progress Hybrid for a about a week now trying to dial in this bad boy. This is one heck of a stove but I can only compare it to Lopi Liberty. I know it's not really cold out yet but I packed the stove to the gills last night around 830 pm and this morning (730) there is still a good amount of red coals in the stove with a stove top temp of 350 and a house temp of 76*. We going to have family over today so Im let the fire go down or it be to hot for everyone tonight. I do know I can pack more logs in this stove then the Lopiand it totally different stove but I love it.

On other note, I still having the problem with super strong draft. Even after I engage the combuster and wait a while stove top and flue temps are very close. It takes about 2 hours for things to change and then its only about 75-100* difference .Stove top will be 475-500* and flue will be around 400-425*. I enjoy this stove every night!!!!

Reactions: Joyboy and Blazing
Chicago got chilly the past day or so. It's good to hear that the Progress is working well.
How much flue is on the stove? Is there key damper on the stove pipe?

It takes a while to get to know this stove as, at least in my case, (I have outside air intake) colder temps improve performance as does closing it down increases temperature. But yes this is one heck of a stove.

Reactions: Highbeam
I have the IS and installed a key damper on a whim just in case of a runaway. Now I use it everytime I set up a reload. Glad I have it! I'm running on a 23 ft stack above the through wall and outside T. And then about 2.5 ft inside with 2 45s to the thimble. I did 45s because I was affraid the 90 would kill the draft. Anyway always end up setting the pipe damper at 90% closed with the stove air set between 15-25% open. Basicly the pipe damper gets set the same everytime and the stove air dictates the temp setting.

Reactions: begreen
I have the IS and installed a key damper on a whim just in case of a runaway. Now I use it everytime I set up a reload. Glad I have it! I'm running on a 23 ft stack above the through wall and outside T. And then about 2.5 ft inside with 2 45s to the thimble. I did 45s because I was affraid the 90 would kill the draft. Anyway always end up setting the pipe damper at 90% closed with the stove air set between 15-25% open. Basicly the pipe damper gets set the same everytime and the stove air dictates the temp setting.

I have a long flue like you do too. 24" straight up, then 45*, then 20", then 45*, then 23 ' straight up inside the house. The top 18" is right on the top of peak of the roof. I did install a key damper with my set up but I have not tried to use it with the new stove. I didn't know you could use a flue damper with this stove.
Just a key note, when I wrote this post this morning the fire was still going with coals and before I left for work, I open the air all the way.. At 430-5 my wife and logs no kindling and the fire is going again.

I have a brand new probe thermometer installed.

Then if you are running a 400f internal flue temp, I'd say you should be pretty happy with that. Not sure what other stoves you've run beside the Lopi, and what that gave you for flue temps, but my Harman downdraft sometimes cruised with a 400f EXTERNAL flue temp!

My IS runs at 200-250 external, and I'm fine with that. I have found with a full load and good burn tube secondaries (NOT a low burn) that the hottest spot on the stove is directly above the center of the door, on the front face of the stove, Not sure how the PH differs in this respect, but I am pretty sure when it gets really cold out you will be happy.

. I didn't know you could use a flue damper with this stove.

I have one in because my last stove ran hot, but I only used it a few times last winter with the IS. Not really needed, generally.

fespo, glad that you are enjoying the Progress Hybrid! It is an amazing woodstove. Keeps our entire house warm even on the coldest of mornings at 4,000 ft. elevation in the western NC mountains.

Reactions: fespo