Project creep

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Spring maintenance on the cabin time. I’m replacing some Dutch lap boards, reflashing a doorway, and other odds and ends I’ve been neglecting. I went to pull the cover off a receptacle so I could more easily cut around it to replace the board. I don’t think that’s how it is supposed to come apart, lol.

F97BF4F7-C7AA-4B88-84D8-5B28313A2B11.jpeg F33802B7-E324-4681-B3C2-13C0CDA2E980.jpeg

The little bit of rot at the base of the door grew. It’s all coming apart now and will get dried out and fixed.

A3C0E43E-7A1F-439F-9CB5-5B879376086C.jpeg

FF3E3F0F-980B-4EB8-B9BE-E60F42BA0C6D.jpeg

Spring maintenance on the cabin time. I’m replacing some Dutch lap boards, reflashing a doorway, and other odds and ends I’ve been neglecting. I went to pull the cover off a receptacle so I could more easily cut around it to replace the board. I don’t think that’s how it is supposed to come apart, lol.

View attachment 327036

View attachment 327037
Atleast yours was in a box. Mine was just the plate with holes drilled to attach directly to the vinyl siding. No box exposed connections etc. But hey it was a gfci lol.

This house is a 70s ranch and I have had relatively few surprises. My last house was a 150 year old Victorian ish house that had been splits into an over under rental for 50 years. All kinds of fun surprises there

This happens, sometimes even to new outlets. Fortunately the fix is easy, just replace with a new receptacle.

It looks like the porch flashing has created a water trap at the base of the siding. Adding a Z flashing under the bottom course of siding that overlaps the porch flashing will direct the water away from the sill.

The is is a cabin my Grandfather built in ‘52. There’s nothing too crazy here. I’ve rewired all but the kitchen wall, guess where this is, lol. On the project list for some future year is to open up that wall, rewire to add a ground and foam Board insulation like the other side of the door. That’s a project for some time in the future. Probably not this decade unless my wife deems it necessary.

I screwed up the flashing about a decade ago and caused the issue I’m fixing now. I know more and will fix it right this time.

Reactions: bholler
That’s what I plan to do. My wife will be bringing up my brake and a roll of trim coil tomorrow.

Reactions: bholler and begreen
The is is a cabin my Grandfather built in ‘52. There’s nothing too crazy here. I’ve rewired all but the kitchen wall, guess where this is, lol. On the project list for some future year is to open up that wall, rewire to add a ground and foam Board insulation like the other side of the door. That’s a project for some time in the future. Probably not this decade unless my wife deems it necessary.

I screwed up the flashing about a decade ago and caused the issue I’m fixing now. I know more and will fix it right this time.
It's the worst when your working on something and thinking what the hell was the last guy doing. And then you realize it was you.

I ended up putting a surface mount box on and installing a GFI inside it.

That outlet came out piece by piece! I’ve never had one do that!

Tomorrow I’ll be able flash it and close the spot where the outlet was. The wood was fairly dry. The front is much drier now, but still needs time to dry. It’ll probably be open for a couple/few weeks. I want as much moisture out as I can get! Only a little more wood needed to come out. Unfortunately it was flooring. Fortunately it should all get covered up with the new threshold.

6EBBBAF1-D44F-4B2A-82BB-1CC4468F4E27.jpeg 9917F0CC-1AF4-4235-80C4-2D0C02592DEA.jpeg D844A8D1-0D9C-4510-ADED-05BAEEEF0414.jpeg