Proof Positive That We Live In Bizzaro World

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
I get a kick out of shows like the "Antique's Roadshow":
"Congratulations, your ancient chair (that no one wants to sit on anymore) is worth $10,000! Why is it worth that much? Because some other fool will pay that much for it because we appraisers say so (and earn huge fees to boot)." Perfect circular logic. Well, maybe some day people will wake up and realize an old chair is an old chair. How much do you really want to pay for something nice to look at but without any real function?

Old chairs still have the same function as when they were created. You might be a bit more careful where you set your keester with one, but the job is still the same. To have a piece of fine antique, handmade craftsmanship is a joy to some.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
People don't spend that kind of money to sit on that chair. I also doubt as many as are doing it now would spend that kind of money just for looking at the chair (etc.) without thinking that they could also sell it again for the same amount or even more. And see the original story: $9.5 million just to "look" at a tiny piece of paper?

What else are the wealthy going to do with their money? I'd rather they spend it on antiquities than fund political campaigns.

Reactions: bobdog2o02
What else are the wealthy going to do with their money? I'd rather they spend it on antiquities than fund political campaigns.

How about buying some new handmade piece of craftmanship and providing jobs by doing that? Paying exorbitant amounts of money on already existing "antiques" is mostly moving money around between the wealthy.

How about buying some new handmade piece of craftmanship and providing jobs by doing that? Paying exorbitant amounts of money on already existing "antiques" is mostly moving money around between the wealthy.

I agree in principle that 9.5million for one stamp is silly.... However our societies "new is better" mentality that has us bulldozing our heritage to make room for more and more new stuff... which is often cheap disposable plastic garbage. (often when the "old" is still has a lot of servicable life left) .... is not doing the environment any favors.

There are a lot of us who see real value in preserving the heritage and legacy of those who came before... whether it be antique art, antique furniture, antique buildings, and so on...

I see real value in buying a book of stamps that can be used to mail stuff and using the nine mil to do some real good in the world. Hopefully the Duponts do that with the proceeds.

I like old stuff- hand made furniture, tools, crafts, art. I like to get a bargain on it, but have paid in the hundred + dollar range for stuff I really wanted.

If I was a bazilionaire and I saw an old thing that was apiece of history, and it happened to cost a lot- would I be stupid to hand over a sum that made not a dent in my fortune for it just because I wanted it? How about if I knew another bazilionaire would pay more for it in ten years?

By the way- how many S. Americans does it take to change a light bulb? A Brazilian.

Folks have been collecting things for a long, long time. Art has value to the beholder. I'm not about to question an individual's choice of what they value or see as art be it new or old. If we all liked the same thing it would be a very dull world. When you have something that many people like to collect and it is the only one in existence it is bound to become quite valuable and more so over time.

Last edited:
Exactly. As someone who owns several antiques, some of which have been handed down thru my own family, I can say I get a lot of enjoyment out of them. Yes, some of these single pieces do cost well over $10k. No, I'm not interested in selling them.

I see real value in buying a book of stamps that can be used to mail stuff and using the nine mil to do some real good in the world. Hopefully the Duponts do that with the proceeds.
Well, the seller has just as much opportunity to use their new-found money for charity as did the buyer.

Well, the seller has just as much opportunity to use their new-found money for charity as did the buyer.

More opportunity if they are trying to reduce capital gains tax.

I'm reminded of Dave Chappelle recently talking about there being little lifestyle difference between having 10 million or 50 million dollars in the bank.

"What is the real difference? An astounding $40,000,000"

Status
Not open for further replies.